Scope and Contents
Papers, 1876-1959, of Benjamin Curtis Chappelear including manuscript and printed maps of Fauquier, Loudoun, Clarke, and Warren counties, Va.; Virginia state maps; United States Department of the Interior Geological Survey Maps of areas in Virginia and West Virginia; notes concerning land records and manuscript volumes which include account books collected by Chappelear of blacksmiths, farmers, postmasters, students, tanners, and operators of general stores. The collection also includes drawings done by Nancy Chappelear as well as genealogical notes on different families.
- Creation: 1788-1959
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access:
Collection is open to all researchers. Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations, such as the Virginia Public Records Act (Code of Virginia. § 42.1-76-91); and the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (Code of Virginia § 2.2-3705.5). Confidential material may include, but is not limited to, educational, medical, and personnel records. If sensitive material is found in this collection, please contact a staff member immediately. The disclosure of personally identifiable information pertaining to a living individual may have legal consequences for which the College of William and Mary assumes no responsibility.
Conditions Governing Use:
Before reproducing or quoting from any materials, in whole or in part, permission must be obtained from the Special Collections Research Center, and the holder of the copyright, if not Swem Library.
B. Curtis Chappelear, author of "Maps and Notes Pertaining to the Upper Section of Fauquier County, Virginia" (Warrenton, Va.: The Warrenton Antiquarian Society, 1954).
6.00 Linear Feet
Gift of 309 pieces by Mrs. Chappelear in memory of B. Curtis Chappelear on 2/1956; gift of 116 pieces by Albert Edmonds on 2/1956; and gift of 2 pieces by John Gott in 2/1976.
Transferred to Rare Books: Harper’s Pictorial History of the Civil War, Star Publishing Company, Chicago Illinois Copyright 1894 by Alfred H. Guersey and Henry M. Alden, and 1894 by McDonnell Bros. Volume II, Issues 1 – 27 with over half of the issues missing
Additional information may be found at http://scrc.swem.wm.edu/findingaids/65%20C38.pdf
Processed and finding aid updated in 2017.
Genre / Form
- Account books
- Design drawings
- Ledgers (Accounting)
- Manuscripts (document genre)
- Registers (lists)
- Chicago (Ill.)--History--19th century
- Hopewell (Va.)--History
- Warren County (Va.)--Maps
- West Virginia--Maps
- Agriculture--Virginia--History--18th century
- Clarke County (Va.)--Maps
- Farm management--Virginia--History--19th century
- Farm management--Virginia--History--20th century
- Farms--Shenandoah River Valley (Va. and W. Va.)
- Fauquier County (Va.)--History
- Fauquier County (Va.)--History--19th century
- Fauquier County (Va.)--Maps
- General stores--Virginia
- Land grants--Virginia
- Legal documents
- Loudoun County (Va.)--Maps
- Medicine--Formulae, receipts, prescriptions
- Merchants--Virginia--Fauquier County
- Registers of birth, etc
- Retail trade--Virginia--History
- Tanning--History--19th century
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- Universities and colleges
- Virginia Military Institute--History--19th century
- Guide to the Chappelear Collection
- Special Collections Staff.
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note