Guy Family Papers
Scope and Contents
Papers of the William George and Gladys Bennett Guy family of Williamsburg, Virginia with additions from Joan Eastman Bennett. Includes correspondence, invitations, minutes, clippings, oral histories, notebooks, reports, photographs, written memories, essays and printed materials. Papers include items about water and gas, Williamsburg Landing, American Red Cross, Williamsburg United Service Organization, Williamsburg Female Academy, College of William and Mary and zoning regulations. Includes ephemera of Williamsburg, Virginia and personal material and correspondence of the Bennett Family and Guy Family of Williamsburg, Virginia. The original accession was received in 1985 with additions added through 2011.
- Creation: 1900-1988
- Guy family. (Family)
- Bennett, Henry Eastman, 1873-1941 (Person)
- Guy, Gladys Elizabeth Bennett (Person)
- Guy, William George (Person)
- Williamsburg Historic Records Association (Williamsburg, Va.) (Organization)
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access:
Collection is open to all researchers. Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations, such as the Virginia Public Records Act (Code of Virginia. § 42.1-76-91); and the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (Code of Virginia § 2.2-3705.5). Confidential material may include, but is not limited to, educational, medical, and personnel records. If sensitive material is found in this collection, please contact a staff member immediately. The disclosure of personally identifiable information pertaining to a living individual may have legal consequences for which the College of William and Mary assumes no responsibility.
Conditions Governing Use:
Before reproducing or quoting from any materials, in whole or in part, permission must be obtained from the Special Collections Research Center, and the holder of the copyright, if not Swem Library.
0.75 Linear Feet
Arrangement of Materials:
Arranged by accession number.
Gifts via the Williamsburg Historic Records Association and Joan Eastman Bennett.
Publication: Collection of Woody Species, published by William and Mary.
Book: Old Virginia Houses Along the James by Emmie Ferguson Farrar. 1957.
Book: The Life of Handel by Victor Schoelcher, 1857. Formerly belonged to L.B. Wharton and the Holt Library, Williamsburg Female Institute.
These publications transferred to Swem Library Stacks or Rare Books.
Processed by Anne Johnson. Acc. 2011.645 added by Benjamin Bromley in October 2011.
- American Association of University Women (Organization)
- American Red Cross (Organization)
- College of William and Mary. (Organization)
- College of William and Mary. School of Education (Organization)
- United Service Organizations (U.S.) (Organization)
- Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board (Organization)
- Williamsburg Community Council (Williamsburg, Va.) (Organization)
- Williamsburg Female Institute (Williamsburg, Va.) (Organization)
- Williamsburg Garden Club (Williamsburg, Va.) (Organization)
- Woman's Club of Williamsburg (Williamsburg, Va.) (Organization)
- Guy family (Family)
- Graves, Thomas Ashley, Jr (Person)
- Guy, Gladys Elizabeth Bennett (Person)
- Nott, Edward (Governor) (Person)
- Verkuil, Paul R (Person)
Genre / Form
- Membership lists
- Speeches, addresses, etc.
- James City County (Va.)--History--20th century
- Norge (Va.)--History
- Williamsburg (Va.)--City Council
- Williamsburg (Va.)--City Planning Commission
- Williamsburg (Va.)--History
- Williamsburg (Va.)--History--20th century
- Williamsburg (Va.)--Library
- Williamsburg (Va.)--Photographs
- Williamsburg (Va.)--Utilities
- American Red Cross--History--World War II period
- College of William and Mary--Commencement
- College of William and Mary--History--20th century
- College of William and Mary--Presidents
- Education--Virginia--Williamsburg--20th century
- Matthew Whaley School (Williamsburg, Va.)
- Oral histories
- World War, 1914-1918
- World War, 1939-1945
- World War, 1939-1945--Women--United States
- Wren Building (Williamsburg, Va.)
- Zoning ordinances
- Guide to the Guy Family Papers
- Finding Aid Authors: Anne Johnson.
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- The collection description/finding aid is written in English