College of William and Mary--Presidents
Found in 22 Collections and/or Records:
Empie writes from Williamsburg, Virginia, to Rev. Doctor Eliphalet Nott, a Presbyterian minister and president of Union College in Schenectady, New York. Empie asks for a copy of Union College laws, course of studies, and textbooks, as he is interested in "different literary seminaries." He also promises to call on Nott when he visits New York "next summer."
Bishop James Madison Letter to the Speaker of the House of Delegates concerning Eastern State Hospital
Letter, 1788 October 31, Bishop James Madison, Williamsburg, to the Speaker of the House of Delegates of Virginia, Richmond, Virginia. Concerns Bishop Madison request to the General Assembly of Virginia funds to support the Eastern State Hospital for Lunatics. Also included is a lithograph of Bishop James Madison. The letter and lithograph were given by Harry Krauss in honor of professor David L. Holmes.
Letter from Bishop John Johns in Richmond, Virginia to Henry Anthon, D.D. and Rector of St. Mark's Church, Bowery, New York dated June 11, 1849. Subject matter of the letter is the College of William and Mary and specifically the appointment of Dr. Stone to the College. John Johns served as the fifteenth President of the College from 1849 until 1854. He was also the 4th Bishop of Virginia, elected in 1862.
The University Archives Greetings File Collection includes greetings sent by the College of William and Mary to other institutions as well as those received by the College.
A card catalog located in the SCRC indexes the items available in this collection. The card catalog was maintained and added to through January 2007. All items added to the collection in 2007 and forward are inventoried in this finding aid.
This collection contains materials about the inauguration of Gene R. Nichol as the 26th president and the investiture of Sandra Day O'Connor as the 23rd Chancellor of William and Mary. The event took place on 7 April 2006.
One letter from the President of William & Mary, Lyon G. Tyler to his half sister, Leticia Tyler Semple. In the letter, Tyler informs Semple that the college board passed a resolution allowing her to erect a monument on the old palace grounds. The monument in question was likely the gravesite of James Semple, a former student at the college and Letitia's husband.
This collection includes addresses and communications from presidents to members of the College of William and Mary community. Office records from all presidents from 1888 to the present are also described in other finding aids in this database. Scattered records are also available for presidents prior to 1888.
The Office of the President. W. Taylor Reveley, III Records includes correspondence, subject files, prepared remarks, and other papers from the administration of William & Mary's twenty-seventh president, W. Taylor Reveley, III.
A single four page letter from Robert Saunders, Jr., (Williamsburg, Virginia) to Robert C. Randolph, (Millwood, Clarke County, Virginia), dated 1847 January 15. The letter contains Saunders concerns of official college business at William & Mary including the vacancy of the chair of Belle Lettres and the election of a permanent president. Saunders also lists and discusses potential presidential candidates.
This collection consists of 66 letters written by Robert Saunders of Williamsburg, Virginia to his wife Lucy Burwell Saunders (60 letters) and his daughters Lucy Page Saunders (three letters) and Roberta P. Saunders (two2 letters) from 1829-1867. There is also a letter written on May 4, 1847 to Overton Bernard, the father of College of William and Mary student Jesse Talbot Bernard.
A collection of correspondence, guest lists, invitation programs, drafts, and other planning documents from Timothy J. Sullivan's inauguration as President of William & Mary.
Contains a typescript, including proofs of half-tone illustrations loosely inserted, for the book The Virginia Bishop by John Sumner Wood, Sr. The book is a biography about John Johns, Fourth Bishop of Virginia and President of the College of William and Mary from 1849-1854.