Showing Collections: 226 - 250 of 278
Material from the inauguration of Timothy M. Kaine as Governor of Virginia held in Williamsburg. Newpaper clippings, programs, invitations and tickets.
Letter from St George Tucker to Matthew Carey regarding the circulation of a printed letter written to Jedediah Morse "...vindicate the Inhabitants of this city from a most cruel and unprovoked attack...", about Carey's periodical "Guthrie's Grammar" and publication, "The American Museum." Dated July 31, 1795. The circulated letter to Rev. Jedediah Morse from a "Citizen of Williamsburg" (1795) is also included.
19.5 cm x 22.5 cm
Letter written and signed by John Tyler in Charles City, Va. , September 9, 1819 to Robert S. Stanard in Richmond, Virginia concerning a chancery suit between Knib and Dr. Dixon's Exors which had earlier been handled by John Tyler's Father in Williamsburg, Virginia.
Scrapbook material from the Williamsburg Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy (UDC) consisting of newspaper clippings on the Civil War, veterans still living, battle reenactments, correspondence, yearbooks, programs, and other. Also included are papers concerning Confederate monuments in Williamsburg, as well as dealing with the Cross of Honor. One copy of "A History of the United Daughters of the Confederacy" is included.
A letter from a soldier, 1st Mass. Mounted Riders, Williamsburg, Va., to his sweetheart, Catherine G. Cooke, Richmond, Mass., regarding his reenlistment. He hopes that the war won't last any longer than 15 months more.
A business ledger kept from 1859-1861 by William W. Vest and Richard Hansford, merchants operating in Williamsburg, Virginia. Entries show Vest and Hansford's business dealings with the College of William & Mary and the Public Hospital.
Collection contains newsletters from the Vintage Ladies of Williamsburg as well as two scrapbooks containing photographs and ephemera.
Artificial collection of papers relating to various cities in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Diary of F. N. Walker, Captain in the 3rd South Carolina Volunteers, in which he discusses what he is reading, news he hears of battles, and marching from Manassas, Virginia, (including a visit to the battlefield of First Bull Run) to the vicinity of Yorktown and Williamsburg, Virginia (mentioning the statue of Lord Botetourt, College of William and Mary, and Eastern State Hospital).
Correspondence, notes, papers, newspaper clippings, drafts and published articles belonging to Courtney Sharpe Ward, a writer for the Richmond News Leader in Richmond, Virginia. Many of her articles had a historical connection. The addition mostly consists of material on the 1957 350th Anniversary of Jamestown. Includes photograph and 1957 Press Card of Courtney Sharpe Ward.
Broadside order written in Williamsburg by Brigadier General George Weedon on 6 April 1781, ordering Moss Armistead and John Slaughter to Portsmouth, Virginia to apply to the commanding officer of the British Army for exchange of prisoners and liberation of slaves.
Williamsburg, Virginia items given by Will Molineux, mostly via the Williamsburg Historic Records Association. Some items are personal papers (newspaper articles, etc.) of Will Molineux. The photograph collection covers the entire Williamsburg area, including James City County and York County. Subjects include people, places, buildings, events, Colonial Williamsburg as well as William and Mary.
2007-08 Correspondence with Mrs. Elizabeth (Emerson) Willard enclosing 1947 program for the Common Glory, enlarged photocopy of a card from the "English Antiques" located in the Blair's Brick House (present day Red Lion) and owned by Margaret G. and Col. Frances Wray of Charlottesville (1951) and photocopy of photographs of Grace Coles, a maid of the White Family and good friend of Elizabeth Willard and the sign of the "Blair's Brick House, English Antiques."
Letter from William Waller, Williamsburg, [Virginia] to "Dear Sir" [Mr. Tazewell] about Tazewell's payment of a debt to Dr. Waller (father of William Waller) and on the Whigs who "have beaten us in the county election." He saw (Gaw Matt?) and "all were well with him on the river...depredation of moles, grasshoppers." April 29, 1848.
One ledger book of lists of members and attendance, with news clippings of events and member's obituaries. Records on the first tournament in Williamsburg, Virginia in 1987-88, material on other tournaments, assessment of group, notes, names and addresses of members and correspondence.
Sidney B. Smith was secretary from May 1, 1986. The name was changed from "Group" to "Club" in August 1993.
Records, 1998-2014, of the Williamsburg Area Bicyclists. Primarily includes copies of their newsletter, The Flying Wheel. Newsletter includes news articles, meeting times and locations, advice for safe riding, schedule for group rides, and advertisments. Newsletters from later accessions interfiled chronologically.