Showing Collections: 76 - 100 of 211
Letter from William Harris, Baltimore, Maryland, to his son David Harris admonishing him to study while in the care of Mr. Satta's. April 9, 1784.
Record book, 1901-1903, of John H. Harvey, a teacher in Bon Brook Public School No. 4, a black school in Cumberland County, Virginia.
The records include one calendar of events for Fall 2005 pertaining to various student health issues held at the College of William and Mary.
Scrapbook of Christine Henderson, class of 1924, Williamsburg High School. Memorabilia includes original photographs.
Scrapbook, ca. 1874-1884, of Abbie Louisa Hill, Beloit, Wisconsin, containing handwritten notes, prints, circulars, programs, wedding invitations, paper dolls, and newspaper clippings. Many of the clippings relate to Beloit College.
This collection consists of letters from supervisors or sponsors to Minnie A. Hill, a northern female teacher, who was in Norfolk and then Petersburg, Virginia teaching at freedmen’s schools in the late 1860s.
Papers, 1795-1835, of the Holland family of Nansemond County, Va. and Jasper County, Ga. Includes a manuscript volume, ca. 1795-1800, used by George Washington Holland for arithmetic exercises; diary, 1832- 1835, kept by William S. Holland to record farming activities, descriptions of Fourth of July celebrations, a meeting concerning states' rights, and the sighting of a comet. Also includes genealogical information of the Holland family.
One spiral-bound booklet titled "How Old is Old?," a compilation of drawings and writings by children expressing what they thought of being old. The authors were students ranging from pre-kindergarteners through sixth graders at St. Edward's School in Vero Beach, Fl. The writings were collected by Katie Kutschinski and dedicated to Joan Wachter, William and Mary Class of 1973.
Diary, 1900, of Howard Allen Kunkle, a seminary student in a Lutheran seminary in Mt. Airy, Pennsylvania. Contains entries about his life in seminary, his school work, his first sermons, and returning home to preach in the summer.
Facsimiles were likely made in 1965. Photocopies of letters, 1835-1845, to Dr. Thomas Jefferson Hughes of Gloucester County, Va. and Connorsville, Ind. chiefly from his brother Skaife W. Hughes, Jasper C. Hughes, and H. Yates Hughes, all from Gloucester County, Va. Includes photocopies of two essays by Mrs. Sarah Hughes, "What Qualities Should Be Cultivated by the Teacher" and "Forest Trees."
Administrative records, programs and working materials for plays, attendance records and financial records of the Jack and Jill Nursery and Kindergarten, operated by Cary Wynne Boelt in Williamsburg, Virginia.
A rough draft inventory and a history of the Jack and Jill Nursery and Kindergarten Records by Frederick W. Boelt are filed at the beginning of the collection.
Record Book, 1819-1861, of the James City County School Commissioners. Included in the book are minutes from meetings, annual reports, treasurer's reports, and other administrative policies. Also included are financial accounts of teachers, poor children, and members of the James City County School Commissioners.
Four page letter from Joanna Ross written on leaterhead from the Virginia Institution for the education of the deaf, dumb, and the blind, Staunton, Virginia. She describes reading to a blind girl and of learning sign language. She also comments on the mild weather in Staunton, her sister's health, people she has met, and books she has recently enjoyed reading.
Two page letter from John Graurner to Adam Empie asking him to provide parental guidance and moral support to Rpbert Meade, the son of his good friend, who will be attending the college that year.
Notes, circaa. 1840-1850, concerning law made by [John Kennedy, a British student ?] On page 598, law regarding negroes and slaves.
Notebook, 1854-1859, of John Posie Mathews Sanders of Jackson's Ferry, Wythe County, Virginiaa. at Emory and Henry College, Abingdon, Virginia. The notes concern Latin, Greek, chemistry, music, and accounting.
Student essay written by Johnson titled "The President's House."