Helen M. Hoskins Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains correspondence, receipts, poems, and other material concerning Helen M. Hoskins and her family of Sheffield, Massachusetts. Most of the correspondence is between Helen and her mother, Sabra Hoskins, but also includes letters written by Helen's husband, H.T. Wheeler, her son, Horace Wheeler, siblings, numerous cousins, and friends. Included in the collection are poems, compositions, and other ephemera related to Helen's time as a teacher at female academies in Maryland, (Patapsco Institute), Virginia, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Mississippi, and Ohio.
- Creation: 1839-1868
- Creation: Majority of material found in 1845-1860
- Hoskins, Helen M. (Person)
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access:
Collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use:
Before reproducing or quoting from any materials, in whole or in part, permission must be obtained from the Special Collections Research Center, and the holder of the copyright, if not Swem Library.
0.20 Linear Feet
Arrangement of Materials:
This collection is arranged into two series, correspondence and ephemera. The correspondences are arranged chronologically by author and recipient, and the ephemera is arranged chronologically.
Physical Characteristics or Technical Requirements:
The fragile nature of this material may limit handling.
Acc. 2013.226 was received by Special Collections via U.S.P.S. on 8/14/2013. The collection was purchased for Swem Library with support from the Clarice Garrison Quasi Endowment.
Accessioned and minimally processed by Steven Bookman, University Archives Specialist, in October 2013.
Genre / Form
- African Americans--Religion
- Hampton (Va.)--History--19th century
- Presidents--United States--Election--1848
- Religion and culture
- Slavery--Virginia--18th century
- Slaves--Virginia--Social conditions
- United States--History--Mexican War, 1845-1848
- Women--Virginia--Social life and customs
- Guide to the Helen M. Hoskins Papers
- Steven Bookman, University Archives Specialist.
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note