Letter, April 28,1967, from Ethel Rowell to Ann Little. Letter, October 1947, written in Shanghai China from Ellen Douglas Oliver to Courtney [Ward] and Archie; child's school project "Explorers in the New World"; and list of feature articles by Courtney S. Ward.
Papers, 1918-1936, of Lewis Peyton Little, a Baptist minister in Williamsburg, Virginia. Includes correspondence and notes concerning his duties as a chaplain in World War I and the writing of his books. There are drafts of his "Imprisoned Preachers and Religious Liberty in Virginia" (Lynchburg, Virginia., J.P. Bell Co., 1938) and of an unpublished work entitled "The Battle of Bethel".
Contains scrapbooks, clippings, and printed ephemera documenting Williamsburg, Virginia. The accession includes material concerning the Williamsburg Reunion, Williamsburg Clergy Fellowship, Williamsburg land development, Bruton Heights, and Bruton Parish Church among others.
Letter; 20 December 1805, Bishop James Madison, Williamsburg, to James Breckenridge, Botetourt County, Va. Concerns defending Madison against a claim to deprive him of land surveyed near Guyandot Falls by Breckinridge. Asks Breckinridge to discount fee at next College [of William and Mary] settlement. Also concerns Madison's Map of Virginia (1807) and a new method of taking latitudes.
Letter, 1859 October 30, from someone named Maria to Elizabeth S. Ewell, daughter of College of William and Mary president Benjamin S. Ewell. In the letter, the author writes about life in Williamsburg, Virginia, the engagements of local men including professor Edwin Taliaferro to Bland Tucker, the Williamsburg Female Academy, and the loss of George T. Wilmer as rector of Bruton Parish Church.
Papers concerning the War Board and Post-War Planning Commission during World War II in Williamsburg and James City County, Virginia.
Collection was accessioned as W&M: War Board Papers.
This is an artificial collection of material from and about Matthew Whaley School in Williamsburg, Virginia including material from the annual fifty year reunions. The school newspaper, The Powder Horn, 1930-1937 and 1946-1948, is available in Rare Books call number AN47 .W54 P68.
This collection contains documents related to Wynway Hall and other construction projects done by Miles Wills Wynne. Included are the floor plans drawn by Wynne for 331, 333, and 501 Richmond Road, supply catalogs, invoices for materials and labor for Wynway Hall, utility and property tax receipts, rental logbooks and reservation books, and work journals for various construction projects. The collection also includes ephemera and broadsides.
4 x 7.5 inch colored lithograph plate with a 2.25 x 2 inch border. Image is of the Virginia Lunatic Asylum at Williamsburg, VA by Thomas Charles Millington. Image shows the building circa 1845 with its newly added third floor, cupola, and portico.
Williamsburg, Virginia items given by Will Molineux, mostly via the Williamsburg Historic Records Association. Some items are personal papers (newspaper articles, etc.) of Will Molineux. The photograph collection covers the entire Williamsburg area, including James City County and York County. Subjects include people, places, buildings, events, Colonial Williamsburg, William and Mary and many more.
Papers, 1881-1937 and n.d., relating to the history of Williamsburg, Jamestown, and Yorktown, Va. collected by members of the Morecock family of Williamsburg, Va. Includes photographs, pamphlets, Christmas cards, postcards, and wood-cut prints depicting the Powder Magazine, Bruton Parish Church, the Courthouse of 1770, the Yorktown Monument, the church tower at Jamestown as well as souvenirs of the Yorktown Centennial, 1881 and the Jamestown Exposition, 1907.
Civil War correspondence, passes and orders relating to 1st Lieutenant William H.E. Morecock of the 32nd Virginia Volunteer Regiment. Legal documents of William H. E. Morecock, mostly concerning the lawsuit in Williamsburg and James City County, McCandlish vs Warburton, during 1851 to 1853. Correspondence and financial records of the Board of Visitors of the College of William and Mary while William H.E. Morecock was Secretary of the Board, 1877-1890.
Diary of a schoolteacher and farmer who lived in James City County, Virginia as well as in Williamsburg and in Warwick County, Virginia. He rented the President's House at the College of William and Mary. Includes comments on church meetings, schools, local people and weather. Also includes lists of students attending his schools in Williamsburg and Warwick County.
Diary of Nanny C. Waller, Williamsburg, Virginia, which includes religious writings, discussion of a cholera epidemic, and her family. It also contains copies of letters and accounts.