Thomas Millington Collection
Scope and Contents
Twelve pieces of oversized artwork, including originals and reproduction copies, by Thomas C. Millington, son of John Millington, William & Mary professor of Chemistry and Natural Philosophy.
This collection is divided into two series. Series 1 compiles lithographic prints (one original and seven reproductions) of the "Millington print," a lithograph based off of Millington's illustrations of William & Mary's Historic Campus. Series 2 compiles drawings and watercolor paintings (three originals and one reproduction copy) done by Millington.
The items in this collection were transferred from various manuscript and univeristy archives collections. Individual entries for each item delineate more information about the collection from which the item was originally included. Also see "Related Materials" below.
Please note that reproduction copies may be served instead of the original copies to best preserve these unique works of art.
- Creation: 1836-1938 and undated
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to all researchers. Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations, such as the Virginia Public Records Act (Code of Virginia. § 42.1-76-91); and the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (Code of Virginia § 2.2-3705.5). Confidential material may include, but is not limited to, educational, medical, and personnel records. If sensitive material is found in this collection, please contact a staff member immediately. The disclosure of personally identifiable information pertaining to a living individual may have legal consequences for which the College of William & Mary assumes no responsibility.
Conditions Governing Use
Before publishing quotations or excerpts from any materials, permission must be obtained from the Director of the Special Collections Research Center and the holder of the copyright, if not William & Mary Libraries.
3 Linear Feet
Series One compiles lithographic prints (one original and seven reproductions) of the "Millington print," a lithograph based off of Millington's illustrations of William & Mary's Historic Campus. Series Two compiles drawings and watercolor paintings (three originals and one reproduction copy) done by Millington.
Folder numbers correspond to the item's placement within the box, not necessarily its intellectual arrangement within its series.
- Colonial Williamsburg (Williamsburg, Va.)--Drawings and graphics
- Duke of Gloucester Street (Williamsburg, Va.)
- Williamsburg (Va.)--History
- Williamsburg (Va.)--History--19th century
- College of William and Mary--Drawings and graphics
- College of William and Mary--History--19th century
- College of William and Mary--Presidents--Dwellings--History
- Colonial Williamsburg (Williamsburg, Va.)
- President's House (Williamsburg, Va.)
- The Brafferton (Williamsburg, Va.)
- Wren Building (Williamsburg, Va.)
- Wren Building (Williamsburg, Va.)--Wren Yard
- Guide to the Thomas Millington Collection
- SCRC staff
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note