Papers of Carlton Casey.
The inventory is a guide to Mss. Acc. 1999.48 which is the postcard collection documenting pre-restoration Williamsburg, restored Williamsburg, Jamestown, the College of William and Mary, the University of Virginia, and cities, towns, and holidays in Virginia. Also includes clippings, articles, photographs, programs, and souvenir publications.
Additions to the collection are described individually.
The collection contains the papers of Williamsburg resident Cynthia Beverley Tucker Washington Coleman and includes correspondence, Coleman's personal writings, various publications, legal and financial papers, and artifacts.
Register, 1918-1919, of the Colonial Inn [Williamsburg, Va.], J. B. C. Spencer, proprietor.
Oversize photograph of Williamsburg Colonial Pageant, Griffith, photographer from Newport News, Virginia, 1921. In very poor condition Photograph of the pageant, cut into 7 pieces. One rolled photograph added in 2011, location uncertain in 2022. 2 programmes of the event.
Copy of a partial typed transcript and a manuscript of the "Partial History of Mrs. Remember Thorp's Life" by Mrs. Remember Bowen Thorp. One page tells of her early childhood, and the next two pages tell of her visit to Virginia and the Williamsburg area in 1907.
Original is owned by the Thorp Family.
Newspaper articles about Williamsburg residents and institutions, businesses and events. Includes clippings, obituaries, notes and speeches relating to prominent residents and major events and important places in Williamsburg, James City County and York County, Virginia. The material was collected by the Newport News Daily Press newspaper.
Obituaries and the story of Williamsburg residents Edwin A. Gilley and Comer C. Jackson who died when their car fell through the open draw on the Chickahominy Bridge, undated, obituary of murdered Harry Burleson of James City County in 1922, photograph of woman in a canoe with a note that it might be Virginia Waltrip, Notebook of handwritten stories by Ellsworth Ayers, dated 1909. There are also photographs of students from the Five Forks School.
Deed from H.D. and Carrie D. Cole, his wife, to Lucy R. Brooks for property on the southeast corner of Scotland and Henry Streets, Williamsburg, Virginia. Lot is portion of what is known as the Armistead Homestead. March 10, 1913.
Letter from E.G.G. to Lucy Burwell Page, [Williamsburg] giving news of the College of William and Mary and Williamsburg, Virginia. January 16, 1827, January 27, 1827. The President introduced new William and Mary students to the town people.