Colonial Hotel Records
Scope and Contents
This collection contains reservation and information requests and carbon copy or rough draft replies about accommodations and meals at the Colonial Hotel in Williamsburg, Virginia. It also includes business and financial correspondence concerning the Colonial Hotel. Most replies unsigned, but Mrs. Mary A. Johnston was the manager during 1929 and 1930. There are miscellaneous cards, envelopes, brochures and notepaper.
It includes a brochure from the New York Hippodrome for the week of 11/3/1913, original deed from P.F. and Maggie B. Conway to W.W. Robertson for property in Danville, Virginia, 5 issues of the Virginia Gazette and 2 issues of William and Mary Flat Hat.
Both Accessions came from the same source in Danville, Virginia.
Built in 1895, The Colonial Hotel, or Colonial Inn, was located where Chowning's Tavern was reconstructed. Williamsburg Restoration purchased it and renamed it the "Williamsburg Inn." It operated under that name until the new Williamsburg Inn was built in 1933.
- Creation: 1913-1930
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access:
Collection is open to all researchers. Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations, such as the Virginia Public Records Act (Code of Virginia. § 42.1-76-91); and the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (Code of Virginia § 2.2-3705.5). Confidential material may include, but is not limited to, educational, medical, and personnel records. If sensitive material is found in this collection, please contact a staff member immediately. The disclosure of personally identifiable information pertaining to a living individual may have legal consequences for which the College of William and Mary assumes no responsibility.
Conditions Governing Use:
Before reproducing or quoting from any materials, in whole or in part, permission must be obtained from the Special Collections Research Center, and the holder of the copyright, if not Swem Library.
0.50 Linear Feet
Arrangement of Materials:
Accessions 2006.68 and 2007.76 were combined during processing.
2006.68 purchased by Special Collections, included 69 items; 2007.76, included 60 items, a gift from Wilford Kale via WHRA. Both collections came from the same source in Danville, Virginia.
One copy each of a 7 November 1930 and a 27 September 1929 issue of the Flat Hat, the student newspaper of the College of William and Mary, was transferred to the Archives.
A Colonial Inn ice cream scoop transferred to the Artifact Collection.
Arranged and described by Anne T. Johnson.
- Guide to the Colonial Hotel Records
- Anne T. Johnson.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note