Papers, 1884-1954, of Anne T. Chapman of Madison, Wisconsin and Williamsburg, Virginia. She was a civic and social leader in the community of Williamsburg who served as librarian of the Williamsburg Public Library from 1910-1942. Papers include correspondence, diaries, photographs, and newspaper clippings and concern Gamma Phi Beta, the Williamsburg Civic League, the Williamsburg Public Library, the Williamsburg Garden Club, Bruton Parish Church, and public health.
Additions (1995.21 and 1997.23) to the collection include photographs as well as two cookbooks which belonged to her. The first cookbook has manuscript recipes; the second is a twentieth-century multilithed cookbook done by a committee of Williamsburg women.
Panoramic photograph of William and Mary costumed participants in Colonial Pageant July 4, 1921.
Collection is open to all researchers. Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations, such as the Virginia Public Records Act (Code of Virginia. § 42.1-76-91); and the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (Code of Virginia § 2.2-3705.5). Confidential material may include, but is not limited to, educational, medical, and personnel records. If sensitive material is found in this collection, please contact a staff member immediately. The disclosure of personally identifiable information pertaining to a living individual may have legal consequences for which the College of William and Mary assumes no responsibility.
Conditions Governing Use:
Before reproducing or quoting from any materials, in whole or in part, permission must be obtained from the Special Collections Research Center, and the holder of the copyright, if not Swem Library.
Information about this individual or organization may be available in the Special Collections Research Center Wiki: .
Gift of 13 boxes of the estate of Anne T. Chapman during 1954-1955; Acc. 1995.21 gift of 4 items by Nancy Griesenauer on 05/08/1995; and Acc. 1997.23 gift of 2 items by Nancy Griesenauer on 05/08/1997.