Renick family Papers, 1899-1992. Papers of Dewey Campbell Renick (1898-1976) and his wife Fern Amelia Cooley Renick (1897-1992) of James City County, Va. Includes farm account book, newspaper clippings, obituaries, Cooley genealogy, a travel diary, photographs, correspondence as well as photocopies of official and unofficial correspondence concerning the death of their son. Dewey C. Renick, Jr., shot down over the Philippine Islands in 1945.
The farm account book, ca. 1942-1962, includes accounts with Kings Mill Farm (Thomas M. Brooks), Carter’s Grove Farm, Evelynton Plantation, Kings Mill Dairy Farm (operated by David and E. E. Falk; later Anheuser-Busch’s Kingsmill development), and P. M. Greisenauer. The entries are in alphabetical order.
The collection includes papers concerning the setting up of the Dewey C. Renick Endowment for scholarships at the College of William and Mary. The clippings concern Dewey C. Renick’s civic career as well as his involvement in negotiations to bring Anheuser-Busch to Williamsburg and the giving of a Clydesdale horse to the Renick farm.
Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations, such as the Virginia Public Records Act (Code of Virginia. § 42.1-76-91); and the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (Code of Virginia § 2.2-3705.5). Confidential material may include, but is not limited to, educational, medical, and personnel records. If sensitive material is found in this collection, please contact a staff member immediately. The disclosure of personally identifiable information pertaining to a living individual may have legal consequences for which the College of William and Mary assumes no responsibility.
Before reproducing or quoting from any materials, in whole or in part, permission must be obtained from the Special Collections Research Center, and the holder of the copyright, if not Swem Library.
Dewey Campbell Renick was from Calloway, Va. (Franklin County). He was born 17 February 1898 and moved to Williamsburg to attend the William and Mary Academy and work at the Williamsburg Female Institute. He was a farmer, lumberman, appraiser and developer. Renick was a member of the James City County Planning Commission from 1954-1971, a member of the James City County School Board for 25 years (chair for 15 years) and was a member of the county school trustee electoral board. Renick was rent control administrator in Williamsburg during World War II and was involved with establishing the Tidewater Mental Health Clinic and Williamsburg Memorial Park. He was a member of the board of Williamsburg Community Hospital and a director of the United Virginia Bank. He died 1 August 1976. The Renick farm was at the intersection of News Road and Ironbound.
Fern Amelia Cooley Renick was born in South Dakota 7 July 1897 and came to Williamsburg with her family at the age of two. She attended Farmville State Teacher’s College (now Longwood University). She and her husband were very active in the Jamestown Presbyterian Church. She died 18 June 1992.
Along with George Tayloe Ross, she established the Dewey C. Renick Memorial Scholarship at the College of William and Mary. She died 18 June 1992.
1.4 Cubic Feet (3 full-size Hollinger boxes)