Merritt Family Papers
Scope and Contents
Papers (including business and personal correspondence and accounts) of William H.E. Merritt, of Brunswick and Greensville counties, Va. who was a lawyer, member of the Virginia House of Delegates and editor of the "Richmond Whig"and his brothers Dr. Alexander T.B. Merritt of Hicksford, Greensville County,Va. and John F.W. Merritt of Vicksburg, Miss. The collection includes letters, 8 January and 29 March 1857, written by John Minor Botts and accounts of William H.E. Merritt & Brother with Cuddy, Brown & Co., cotton brokers in New Orleans, La. Subjects covered by the collection include horses, the practice of law, Reconstruction, and slavery.
- Creation: 1780-1909
- Merritt, William H. E. (Person)
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access:
Collection is open to all researchers. Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations, such as the Virginia Public Records Act (Code of Virginia. § 42.1-76-91); and the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (Code of Virginia § 2.2-3705.5). Confidential material may include, but is not limited to, educational, medical, and personnel records. If sensitive material is found in this collection, please contact a staff member immediately. The disclosure of personally identifiable information pertaining to a living individual may have legal consequences for which the College of William and Mary assumes no responsibility.
Conditions Governing Use:
Before reproducing or quoting from any materials, in whole or in part, permission must be obtained from the Special Collections Research Center, and the holder of the copyright, if not Swem Library.
William H. E. Merritt, of Brunswick and Greensville Counties, Va., was a lawyer, member of the Virginia House of Delegates, and an editor of the i>. Further information about this individual or organization may be available in the Special Collections Research Center Wiki:
0.50 Linear Feet
Genre / Form
- Brunswick County (Va.)--History--19th century
- Vicksburg (Miss.)--History
- Virginia--Cotton Farms--19th century
- Cotton trade--Southern States--History--19th century
- Greensville County (Va.)--History--19th century
- Horses--United States--History--19th century
- Lawyers--Virginia--Brunswick County
- Lawyers--Virginia--Greensville County
- Practice of law--Virginia--History
- Reconstruction (U.S. history, 1865-1877)
- Reconstruction (U.S. history, 1865-1877)--Virginia
- Slavery--Southern States--History
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States--Slavery
- Guide to the Merritt Family Papers
- Finding Aid Authors: Special Collections Staff.
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- The collection description/finding aid is written in English
- May 24th, 2018: Box and Folder List compiled by Kelsey Kavanagh, SCRC staff, in September 2011.