Showing Collections: 1 - 25 of 51
Ten letters and seven postcards, 1940-1945 from concentration camp prisoners in Germany. Letters contain the name of the detainee, date of birth, and prisoner number. The majority of the letters were written on official camp stationary which contained the rules and warnings (in German) of what was allowed to be included in correspondence addressed to the detainees.
Four letters written by German soldiers to their families, discussing mostly private matters. The soldiers were stationed on army bases in Germany. All of the letters are written in German and three are in Suetterlin script.
This collection consists of nine teacher class books (8.75" x 5") kept by Fisher for French, German, Spanish, Latin, and History classes. These are not William & Mary class books.
Records (two volumes) 1865 and 1906-1928 (bulk) of the Freie Reformierte Emmanuels Gemeinde zu West Philadelphia (Philadelphia, Pa.).
Print of German and English language political cartoon on newsprint by George Colt satirizing William & Mary's efforts to seek restitution from damages to campus sustained during the Civil War. In 1893 the U.S. government paid William & Mary for damages. The College is depicted as a "rebel claims monster." The print is undated, but was likely printed between 1890-1895.
Travel account, 1744, of George Zimmerman's trip from Switzerland to America. The majority of the volume consists of medicinal remedies kept by Zimmerman. There are loose pages and a fragment of an indentured contract, 1760. Written in German.
Two letters, 1944 and 1945, written by German prisoners of war from camps in Virginia (Camp Pickett and Camp Hampton Roads) to their families in Germany. Both letters are written on official prisoner of war form stationary and have been stamped by a U.S. censor. The letters are written in Suetterlin script.
A group of twenty items, the majority of which are typeface sheets. There are also two greeting cards, handwritten letters, a sheet with a quote, and a small pamphlet. Seven items are signed by Hermann Zapf.