Series 1 (Acc. 1999.059) contains correspondence regarding the School of Jurisprudence (now the Marshall-Wythe School of Law), the Faculty Club, the Quarterly Millennium Celebration, and notes on the teaching of law at William and Mary for the years 1931-1943.
Series 2 (Acc. 2008.308) contains material acquired by Dr. Theodore Sullivan Cox in Germany during the Allied occupation after World War II. Includes British, US American and French military bulletins, manuals and pamphlets (in part classified), a poster, three Nazi military medals and two Nazi propaganda films.
The collection is open to all researchers. Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations, such as the Virginia Public Records Act (Code of Virginia. § 42.1-76-91); and the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (Code of Virginia § 2.2-3705.5). Confidential material may include, but is not limited to, educational, medical, and personnel records. If sensitive material is found in this collection, please contact a staff member immediately. The disclosure of personally identifiable information pertaining to a living individual may have legal consequences for which the College of William and Mary assumes no responsibility.
Conditions Governing Use:
Before reproducing or quoting from any materials, in whole or in part, permission must be obtained from the Special Collections Research Center, and the holder of the copyright, if not Swem Library.
Professor of Law (1930-1947) and Dean of the School of Jurisprudence. Further information about this individual or organization may be available in the Special Collections Research Center Wiki: .
Physical Characteristics or Technical Requirements:
The fragile nature of the poster (Series 2, item 3) may limit handling.
The films have recently been digitized and are currently available at http://www.youtube.com/user/swemlibrary?feature=watch
Acc. 2008.308 was acuaired by the donor while in Germany at the end of WW II. According to information provided by him, the reels of film were taken from a house occupied by the American forces and the medals were found in the concentration camp Dachau. Acc. 2008.308 was previously part of the Manuscripts Department and was transferred to the University Archives in June 2011.
Acc. 1999.059 was transferred from the School of Jurisprudence 10/15/1947. Acc. 2008.308 was a gift of Dr. Theodore S Cox on 5/6/1946.
University Archives Artifact Collection (UA 13); University Archives Audiovisual Collection (UA 58).
Two films and three medals that were part of Mss. Acc. 2008.308 were pulled from this collection and added to the University Archives Audiovisual Collection and University Archives Artifact Collection on 6/20/2011.