Campbell Family Papers
Scope and Contents
Papers of four generations of the Campbell family of Orange Co., Va. including correspondence of William Campbell (1755-1823). His papers pertain to Revolutionary pensions, bounty land claims, the War of 1812, his superintendency of the Virginia State Penitentary, and his estate and includes a diary of a trip to Kentucky in 1798. There are also papers (correspondence and accounts) of his wife, Mrs. Susan Campbell and their children. The collection includes papers of the Graves family and correspondence, medical accounts, military orders and reports of Dr. William S. Parran who served in the 13th Virginia Regiment of Confederate States Army at the battles of Bull Run, Cedar Mountain and who was killed at Antietam. Correspondents of Parran include A. P. Hill and John Letcher and there is one letter, 1861, concerning Thomas Jonathan Jackson.
The collection includes letters and accounts, 1890-1905, of Reuben Lindsay Coleman and Emma Cornelia (Parran) Coleman, a 1904 letter of M. E. Magurk, first superintendent of hospitals in the Canal Zone describing local conditions and 1813-1815 accounts with Valentine Johnson and Farmer's Bank of Virginia with William Campbell.
- Creation: 1726-1920
- Campbell family (Family)
- Campbell, Susan, Mrs. (Person)
- Campbell, William, 1755-1823 (Person)
- Coleman, Emma Cornelia Parran (Person)
- Coleman, Reuben Lindsay (Person)
- Graves family (Family)
- Hill, A. P. (A. Powell) (Person)
- Letcher, John, 1813-1884 (Person)
- Magurk, M. E. (Person)
- Parran, William S., d. 1862 (Person)
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access:
Collection is open to all researchers. Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations, such as the Virginia Public Records Act (Code of Virginia. § 42.1-76-91); and the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (Code of Virginia § 2.2-3705.5). Confidential material may include, but is not limited to, educational, medical, and personnel records. If sensitive material is found in this collection, please contact a staff member immediately. The disclosure of personally identifiable information pertaining to a living individual may have legal consequences for which the College of William and Mary assumes no responsibility.
Conditions Governing Use:
Before reproducing or quoting from any materials, in whole or in part, permission must be obtained from the Special Collections Research Center, and the holder of the copyright, if not Swem Library.
4.00 Linear Feet
Gift of 1,732 items from Miss Catherine Scott in 1930; and purchase of 13 items on 12/29/1952.
Genre / Form
- American Revolution--Veterans
- Bounties, Military--United States
- Canal Zone
- Confederate States of America. Army. Virginia Infantry Regiment, 13th
- Executors and administrators--Virginia--History--19th century
- Kentucky--Description and travel
- Legal documents
- Medicine--History--19th century
- Orange County (Va.)--History--18th century
- Orange County (Va.)--History--19th century
- Pensions, Military--United States--Revolution, 1775-1783
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States--History--War of 1812
- United States. Army--Pay, allowances, etc
- Virginia State Penitentary--History--19th century
- Guide to the Campbell Family Papers
- Finding Aid Authors: Special Collections Staff.
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- The collection description/finding aid is written in English