Scope and Contents
The Ephemera Collection contains material primarily acquired for teaching. It includes material in various formats, most of which have been previously published. The collection is currently being processed and new items will be added on an ongoing basis. For this reason, the indicated date range is approximate at this point.
- Creation: 1800-2014
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access:
Collection is open to all researchers. Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations, such as the Virginia Public Records Act (Code of Virginia. § 42.1-76-91); and the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (Code of Virginia § 2.2-3705.5). Confidential material may include, but is not limited to, educational, medical, and personnel records. If sensitive material is found in this collection, please contact a staff member immediately. The disclosure of personally identifiable information pertaining to a living individual may have legal consequences for which the College of William and Mary assumes no responsibility.
Conditions Governing Use:
Before reproducing or quoting from any materials, in whole or in part, permission must be obtained from the Special Collections Research Center, and the holder of the copyright, if not Swem Library.
5 Linear Feet
Physical Characteristics or Technical Requirements:
The fragile nature of Mss. Acc. 2009.530 may limit handling.
Acc. 2009.015 is a gift received January 2009. Acc. 2009.175 was purchased May 2009. Acc. 2009.261 is a gift received June 2009. For technical reasons, accession information for items received after June 2009 are not displayed here. Please ask a staff member for assistance.2008.62 Purchased. 2006.45 gift from Hope Yelich.
Additions are being made to this collection on an ongoing basis.
Acc. 2011.631 and Acc. 2011.632 accessioned and minimally processed by Steven Bookman, University Archives Specialist, in October 2011. Acc. 2012.004 and Acc. 2012.007 accessioned and minimally processed by Steven Bookman, University Archives Specialist, in January 2012.Acc. 2012.248 accessioned and minimally processed by Steven Bookman, University Archives Specialist, in June 2012.
- Miller and Rhoads (Richmond, Va.) (Organization)
- Scottish Widows' Fund and Life Assurance Society (Organization)
- Sears, Roebuck and Company (Organization)
- Sears, Roebuck and Company--Pictorial works (Organization)
- United States. President (2009- : Obama) (Organization)
- Virginia. State Lottery Dept. (Organization)
- Whitehead and Hoag Company (Newark, N.J.) (Organization)
- Ford, Henry, 1863-1947 (Person)
Genre / Form
- Advertising blotters
- Advertising cards
- Card games (game sets)
- Checks (bank checks)
- Cigarette cards
- Clippings (information artifacts)
- Lottery puffs
- Postage stamps
- Price lists
- Printed ephemera
- Religious texts
- Stereoscopic photographs
- Title pages
- Trading cards
- Visiting cards
- Chicago (Ill.)--Industries--Pictorial work
- England--Description and travel--20th century
- Yellowstone National Park
- Advertising--United States--History
- American Revolution Bicentennial, 1976--Virginia
- American poetry--19th century
- Card games
- Desert Storm, Operation, 1991
- Jamestown 400th Anniversary
- Labor and laboring classes--Illinois--Chicago--Pictorial works
- Lead arsenate
- Logging--Maine--Pictorial works
- Logging--Washington (State)--Pictorial works
- Lotteries--United States
- Methodist Church--Virginia
- Methodist Church--Virginia--History--19th century
- National parks and reserves--United States
- Oysters--Chesapeake Bay (Md. and Va.)
- Oysters--United States--History--Pictorial works
- Postcards--Southern States
- Presidents--United States--Inauguration
- Prices--Washington Metropolitan Area.
- Publishers and publishing
- Richmond (Va.)--History
- Richmond (Va.)--History--19th century
- Tobacco industry--Massachusetts
- Women--Employment--Pictorial works
- World War, 1939-1945--Germany
- Guide to the Ephemera Collection
- In Progress
- Special Collections Staff.
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note