Hart Papers I and II
Scope and Contents
Papers, 1847-1934, including correspondence, essays, articles, and poems by John Hart, a Richmond book seller and poems, short stories, and a novel by his wife, Katherine M. Hart. The papers of John Hart include letters concerning the sale of books and two letters by James Branch Cabell. The collection includes diplomas and certificates awarded by the University of Virginia to his [father ?] John Hart of Louisa County, Va.
The Hart Papers (II) series contains 200 nineteenth-century photographs (stereographs, cabinet, cartes de visite), mainly taken by studios in Richmond, Virginia. The subjects of these photographs are men, women, children, families, soldiers, statues, monuments and paintings.
- Creation: 1847-1934
- Hart, John, 1860-1937 (Person)
- Anderson Gallery (Organization)
- Cabell, James Branch, 1879-1958 (Person)
- Hart, Katherine McCowan, 1863-1948 (Person)
- Lee Gallery (Organization)
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access:
Collection is open to all researchers. Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations, such as the Virginia Public Records Act (Code of Virginia. § 42.1-76-91); and the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (Code of Virginia § 2.2-3705.5). Confidential material may include, but is not limited to, educational, medical, and personnel records. If sensitive material is found in this collection, please contact a staff member immediately. The disclosure of personally identifiable information pertaining to a living individual may have legal consequences for which the College of William and Mary assumes no responsibility.
Conditions Governing Use:
Before reproducing or quoting from any materials, in whole or in part, permission must be obtained from the Special Collections Research Center, and the holder of the copyright, if not Swem Library.
4.00 Linear Feet
Arrangement of Materials:
Series One contains the family papers of John Hart and Series Two contains the 19th century photographs collected by John Hart.
Purchase. 1926.02 - some of the Cartes de Visite photographs acquired in 1926.
Box and folder list inventory completed by Zach Woodward, SCRC staff, in February 2011.
Genre / Form
- Cabinet photographs
- Carte de visite photographs
- African Americans--Virginia--Photographs
- Booksellers and bookselling--Virginia
- Poets, American--19th century
- Richmond (Va.)--History--19th century
- Richmond (Va.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--African Americans
- University of Virginia--History--19th century
- Guide to the Hart Papers I and II
- Finding Aid Authors: Special Collections Staff, Anne Johnson, Peter Clicker.
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- The collection description/finding aid is written in English