William Cole Collection of Documents Pertaining to the Colonial-Era
Documents, prints, and heraldry pertaining to Virginia governors from the 17th and 18th centuries. Includes letters and documents signed by John Murray, Robert Brooke, James Wood, Beverly Randolph, Patrick Henry, Edmund Andros, Jeffrey Amherst, Norborne Berkeley, Robert Hunter, Francis Fauquier, Earl De La Warr, James Blair, and Robert Dinwiddie among others. Also included in the collection are prints, coats of arms, and commemorative coins.
- Creation: 1676-1971
- Creation: Majority of material found within 1730-1770
- Botetourt, Norborne Berkeley, Baron de, ca. 1718-1770 (Person)
- Randolph, Beverley, 1754-1797 (Person)
- Dunmore, John Murray, Earl of, 1732-1809 (Person)
- Amherst, Jeffery Amherst, Baron, 1717-1797 (Person)
- Fauquier, Francis (Person)
- Henry, Patrick, 1736-1799 (Person)
- Andros, Edmund, Sir, 1637-1714 (Person)
- Hunter, Robert (Person)
- Dinwiddie, Robert, 1693-1770 (Person)
- Dunmore, John Murray, 4th Earl of, 1732-1809 (Person)
- Brooke, Robert (Person)
- Lee, Henry, 1756-1818 (Person)
- Blair, James, 1741-1772 (Person)
- Wood, James, 1741-1813 (Person)
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to all researchers. Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations, such as the Virginia Public Records Act (Code of Virginia. § 42.1-76-91); and the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (Code of Virginia § 2.2-3705.5). Confidential material may include, but is not limited to, educational, medical, and personnel records. If sensitive material is found in this collection, please contact a staff member immediately. The disclosure of personally identifiable information pertaining to a living individual may have legal consequences for which the College of William and Mary assumes no responsibility.
Conditions Governing Use
Before reproducing or quoting from any materials, in whole or in part, permission must be obtained from the Special Collections Research Center, and the holder of the copyright, if not Swem Library.
3.0 Linear Feet
Acc. 2019.013 was added to the collection in 2019. Additional accruals are anticipated.
- Guide to the William Cole Collection of Documents Pertaining to the Colonial-Era
- Christina R. Luers, CA, Inventory and item list completed by Karen King, SCRC Staff Assistant.
- August 2018
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note