Madison, James, 1749-1812
Found in 18 Collections and/or Records:
Bishop James Madison Letter to the Speaker of the House of Delegates concerning Eastern State Hospital
Letter, 1788 October 31, Bishop James Madison, Williamsburg, to the Speaker of the House of Delegates of Virginia, Richmond, Virginia. Concerns Bishop Madison request to the General Assembly of Virginia funds to support the Eastern State Hospital for Lunatics. Also included is a lithograph of Bishop James Madison. The letter and lithograph were given by Harry Krauss in honor of professor David L. Holmes.
This collection contains information about the College of William and Mary from the Eighteenth Century to the present. Included in the collection are faculty lecture notes from a variety of classes, scrapbooks, research notes, correspondence, textbooks used at the College of William and Mary, minute and account books, poetry books, student notebooks, a literary manual, and various other miscellaneous bound volumes.
Map of Virginia by Bishop James Madison, 1818 revision of 1807 edition.
Due to the large size of this item, 48 hours advanced notice for use is required.
Letter; 20 December 1805, Bishop James Madison, Williamsburg, to James Breckenridge, Botetourt County, Va. Concerns defending Madison against a claim to deprive him of land surveyed near Guyandot Falls by Breckinridge. Asks Breckinridge to discount fee at next College [of William and Mary] settlement. Also concerns Madison's Map of Virginia (1807) and a new method of taking latitudes.
Notice from the President and Professors Acknowledging Robert Andrews, Jr. as the College's Attorney
Notice from the President and faculty of William & Mary, acknowledging Robert Andrews, Jr. as the College's attorney. The notice states that he is to receive, in the name of William & Mary, dividends due as of January 1, 1804. The notice is signed by President Bishop James Madison and professors St. George Tucker (law), Robert Andrews (math), and John Bracken (Grammar School). The Temple Seal is affixed to the document.
Correspondence, notes, typescripts, and genealogical charts of James M. Owens concerning genealogy of the Madison family of Virginia with emphasis on President James Madison and Bishop James Madison. Includes photocopies of letters of President James Madison and Bishop James Madison; and two original letters, 1804 and 1832, of James Madison and one, 1846, of John Quincy Adams.
Memorandum book, 1762-1797, of John Page begun while a student at the College of William and Mary. It contains a record of the General Episcopal Convention in Philadelphia in 1785, notes in Latin and Greek, and scientific and astronomical writings, including a notation of a November 1776 observation of astronomical activity by Page and Bishop James Madison.
Letter, 14 September 1804, of John Page to [Bishop James?] Madison. Congratulates the recipient for the "happy state of affairs"under his administration.
What muse can dictate or what works express. A handwritten poem by John Page. Undated.
Copy of letter written to "Gentlemen" which concerns military commissions for Thomas Tavener and John Badgley.
Silhouette of Bishop James Madison created by Marietta Minnigerode Andrews from a rare and early collection in the Library of Congress.
A petition from the president and professors of the College of William & Mary to Virginia Chief Justice Paul Carrington and other judges requesting that the case between John Bracken and the College be speedily determined. There is also a note from Bracken consenting to having a verdict decided by the October 1787 court term. The petition is signed by College president Bishop James Madison and John Brakcen and includes the Greek temple form of the Collegte seal.
This collection, Acc. 1980.121, consists of 1 box of biographical material, photostats and transcripts of correspondence, and discourses, including one on the death of George Washington. An inventory is available in the Special Collections Research Center. See also Bishop James Madison Papers, Photocopies (65 Pst James Madison) which might be part of this accession.
Papers, 1757-1792, of the Rev. John Jones Spooner including his election to the American Academy of Arts and Sciences; and his installation as minister to Martins Brandon Parish, Prince George County, Va. Also Includes certificate of ordination, 1792, signed by Bishop James Madison.
- Correspondence 10
- College of William and Mary--History--19th century 9
- College of William and Mary--History--18th century 4
- Notebooks 3
- Williamsburg (Va.)--History--18th century 3
- Williamsburg (Va.)--History--19th century 3
- American poetry--19th century 2
- College of William and Mary--Students 2
- Episcopal Church--Virginia--History--18th century 2
- Episcopal Church--Virginia--History--19th century 2
- United States--History--Revolution, 1775-1783 2
- Virginia--Maps 2
- American Academy of Arts and Sciences 1
- American Revolution--Veterans 1
- Athletics 1
- Botetourt County (Va.)--History--19th century 1
- Cartography--Virginia 1
- Certificates 1
- Class materials 1
- College of William and Mary--History--20th century 1
- College of William and Mary--Presidents 1
- College sports--United States--History--20th century 1
- Curriculum 1
- Dueling--Virginia 1
- Eastern State Hospital (Va.)--History--18th century 1
- Engravings (Prints) 1
- Episcopal Church--Clergy 1
- Episcopal Church--Virginia--Clergy--19th century 1
- Episcopal Church--Virginia--History 1
- Harvard University--History--19th century 1
- History of science--Colonial period 1
- Invitations 1
- Lecture notes 1
- Letters (correspondence) 1
- Lithographs 1
- Lynchburg (Va.)--History--19th century 1
- Manuscripts (document genre) 1
- Maps 1
- Memorandums 1
- Minutes 1
- Natural and Experimental Philosophy 1
- Orange County (Va.)--History--18th century 1
- Orange County (Va.)--History--19th century 1
- Photographs 1
- Photostats 1
- Plantation life 1
- Plantations 1
- Plays (document genre) 1
- President's House (Williamsburg, Va.) 1
- Prince George County (Va.)--History--18th century 1
- Reports 1
- Scrapbooks 1
- Silhouettes 1
- Student Government 1
- Student Plays 1
- Surry County (Va.)--History 1
- Surveying--Virginia 1
- Textbooks 1
- Typescripts 1
- United States--Religious History--Christianity 1
- Virginia--History--Colonial period, ca. 1600-1775 1
- Virginia--Militia 1
- Virginia--Politics and Government--19th century 1
- Virginia--Religious history 1
- Women--Education--Virginia 1
- World War, 1939-1945 1 + ∧ less