Scope and Contents
Letters and papers of the Floyd, Johnston, and Preston families, as well as newspaper articles principally concerning Gen. Joseph E. Johnston and Judge Robert William Hughes. The central figures in the collection include Gen. John Preston, his brother Gen. Francis Preston, Gen Joseph E. Johnston (1807-1891), his niece, Eliza Hughes (1825-1908), and Harriet Lane, niece of President Buchanan. The collection also contains the correspondence of or papers relating to Congressman Charles C. Johnston (1795-1832), Judge R.W. Hughes (1821-1901), Baron Alex de Humboldt, and Governor/ Secretary of War John B. Floyd (1806-1863). Spanning 154 years (1753-1907), this collection contains references to the Mexican War and the Civil War and also touches on the issues of Indians and slavery.
- Creation: 1753-1940
- Preston Family (Collector, Family)
- Floyd, John Buchanan, 1806-1863 (Collector, Person)
- Hughes family. (Collector, Family)
- Hughes, Robert William (Collector, Person)
- Humboldt, Alexander von, 1769-1859 (Collector, Person)
- Johnston, Joseph Eggleston, 1807-1891 (Collector, Person)
- Preston, Francis (Collector, Person)
- Preston, John, 1764-1827 (Collector, Person)
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access:
Collection is open to all researchers. Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations, such as the Virginia Public Records Act (Code of Virginia. § 42.1-76-91); and the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (Code of Virginia § 2.2-3705.5). Confidential material may include, but is not limited to, educational, medical, and personnel records. If sensitive material is found in this collection, please contact a staff member immediately. The disclosure of personally identifiable information pertaining to a living individual may have legal consequences for which the College of William and Mary assumes no responsibility.
Conditions Governing Use:
Before reproducing or quoting from any materials, in whole or in part, permission must be obtained from the Special Collections Research Center, and the holder of the copyright, if not Swem Library.
0.75 Linear Feet
Alternate Extent Statement
- Guide to the Floyd-Johnston-Preston Papers
- Special Collections Staff.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note