Hamilton Family Papers
Scope and Contents
Papers pertaining to the Hamilton Family of Norge, James City County, Virginia and related families. Among the formats included are diaries, scrapbooks, correspondence, Norge High School records, church records, photographs, slides, CD-Roms, certificates, financial records, a Langley Air Force base photo album, and news clippings and ephemera. Mss. Acc. 2009.139 and 2011.520.
- Creation: 1892-2003
- Creation: Majority of material found in 1930-2003
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access:
Collection is open to all researchers. Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations, such as the Virginia Public Records Act (Code of Virginia. § 42.1-76-91); and the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (Code of Virginia § 2.2-3705.5). Confidential material may include, but is not limited to, educational, medical, and personnel records. If sensitive material is found in this collection, please contact a staff member immediately. The disclosure of personally identifiable information pertaining to a living individual may have legal consequences for which the College of William and Mary assumes no responsibility.
Conditions Governing Use:
Before reproducing or quoting from any materials, in whole or in part, permission must be obtained from the Special Collections Research Center, and the holder of the copyright, if not Swem Library.
Frances Anne Huckstep Hamilton ,(1928-2008) was born in Norge, Virginia a descendant of Mr and Mrs Halvor H. Anderson one of the Norwegian farming families that settled the village in the early 1900s. Except for a short residence in Toano Frances Hamilton resided most of her life in Norge. She coauthored "Velkommen til Norge" a pictorial history of the town, and helped organize and lead the Norge Civic League. She served on the James City County Historical Commission and helped the Norge Community Club preserve Norge Hall. Further information about this individual or organization may be available in the Special Collections Research Center Wiki:
13.00 Linear Feet
Arrangement of Materials:
Collection has been dividied into four series: Series 1: Personal Papers of Frances H. Hamilton; Series 2: Norge History; Series 3: Personal Papers of James K. Anderson; Series 4: Rosina Bowers Papers.
All audiovisual material from this collection has been moved to the Manuscripts Audiovisual Collection. The Toano High School yearbooks were removed from the Hamilton Family Papers in 9/2012 and transferred to the Rare Books Collection.
Genre / Form
- Guide to the Hamilton Family Papers
- Finding Aid Authors: Special Collections Staff.
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- The collection description/finding aid is written in English
- May 12th, 2017: Accessioned by Ute Schechter in April 2009. Processed in July-August 2009 by Terry Noziglia, SCRC Staff and Patricia Sanabria, SCRC Staff, in the 2010-2011 school year. Inventory incomplete as of May 2010. Acc. 2011.518 added by Benjamin Bromley, Public Services Archives Specialist, in August 2011. Acc. 2011.520 arranged and described by Mark Mulligan, SCRC Staff, in September-December 2013. Data entry clean-up by Zachary Woodward, SCRC Staff, in December 2013.