Papers, 1939-1951, of Sue Ruffin Tyler concerning a projected work, The Women of Virginia. Includes biographical sketches of women, correspondence with women who had sent sketches and were subscribers, and correspondence of Robert Hendrix who collected money from the subscribers but was unable to publish the book. Sue Ruffin Tyler contracted to write the historical material for a book on women in Virginia, to have been entitled The Women of Virginia. Living women were to submit sketches of themselves and their organizations and to subscribe to the volume. The volume was never published.
The PDF versions of this inventory must be viewed in sections.
Collection is open to all researchers. Before publishing quotations or excerpts from any materials, permission must be obtained from the Manuscripts and Rare Books Librarian, and the holder of the copyright, if not Swem Library. Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations, such as the Virginia Public Records Act (Code of Virginia. § 42.1-76-91); and the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (Code of Virginia § 2.2-3705.5). Confidential material may include, but is not limited to, educational, medical, and personnel records. If sensitive material is found in this collection, please contact a staff member immediately. The disclosure of personally identifiable information pertaining to a living individual may have legal consequences for which the College of William and Mary assumes no responsibility.
Sue Ruffin Tyler was a scholar and wife of Lyon Gardiner Tyler, son of US President John Tyler. Further information about this individual or organization may be available in the Special Collections Research Center Wiki: http://scrc.swem.wm.edu/wiki/index.php/Sue_Ruffin_Tyler.
14.00 Linear Feet
W&M Special Collections Research Center began acquiring and collecting Tyler family papers in 1922 and the collection has grown considerably since. The vast majority of this collection was donated by generous family and friends of the Tyler family between 1922 and 2002, with the bulk of the collection being donated to in 1949 by Mrs. Sue Ruffin Tyler and in 1955 by the children of Lyon G. Tyler. Some materials in this collection were purchased by W&M Special Collections Research Center.