Ash Lawn-Highland records
Scope and Contents
Ash Lawn-Highland is the home of James Monroe, the fifth president of the United States, and is located in Charlottesville, Virginia. Ash Lawn-Highland is owned and operated by The College of William and Mary, Monroe's alma mater.
Ash Lawn-Highland is a historic museum with a 535-acre working farm, and performing arts site in Albermarle County, Virginia. President James Monroe and his wife, Elizabeth Kortright Monroe of New York, owned Ash Lawn-Highland from 1793 to 1826 and made it their official residence from 1799 to 1823.
- Creation: 1978-1998
Conditions Governing Access:
The collection is open to all researchers. Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations, such as the Virginia Public Records Act (Code of Virginia. § 42.1-76-91); and the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (Code of Virginia § 2.2-3705.5). Confidential material may include, but is not limited to, educational, medical, and personnel records. If sensitive material is found in this collection, please contact a staff member immediately. The disclosure of personally identifiable information pertaining to a living individual may have legal consequences for which the College of William and Mary assumes no responsibility.
Conditions Governing Use:
Before reproducing or quoting from any materials, in whole or in part, permission must be obtained from the Special Collections Research Center, and the holder of the copyright, if not Swem Library.
Ash Lawn Highland is the plantation estate which 5th president James Monroe purchased in 1793. Monroe and his family moved onto the property in 1799, but Monroe's personal debt forced the family to sell the property in 1825. In the 1930's, philanthropist Jay Winston Johns purchased the estate and the house was open to public tours upon his death. In his will, Winston left the estate to the The College of William and Mary, Monroe's alma mater.
1.50 Linear Feet
A portion of this collection was previously part of the University Archives Publications Collection.
Acc. 1996.30 received on 5/22/1996 from Ash lawn-Highland via Carolyn Holmes and James Wootton.
A VHS videotape of the Historic American Buildings Survey of Ash Lawn-Highland was pulled from this collection on 3/9/2010 and was added to the University Archives Audiovisual Collection (UA 58). Nail samples from the Ash Lawn-Highland house were pulled from this collection on 3/9/2010 and were added to the University Archives Artifact Collection (UA 13).
- Guide to the Ash Lawn-Highland records
- Special Collections Staff.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note