John Womack Wright Collection of Maps
Scope and Contents
Printed maps, circa 1675-1918, collected by Col. John Womack Wright pertaining to his interest in military events in Europe chiefly in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. The collection primarily concerns the cartography of areas in France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, and Italy. The collection includes examples of the work of Willem Janszoon Blaeu, Guillaume de L'Isle, Johann Baptist Homann, Tobias Conrad Lotter, Placide de Saint Helene, John Senex, George Mattheus Seutter the Older; and Nikolaus Visscher II. Also includes notebook, 1919; and a publication of the American Geographical Society, 1924.
Acc. 1931.122 Addition filed in Box 1.
Manuscript copy of a letter from the King of Spain to the Governor Captain General in Cuba to end the practice of Cubans receiving education in America. Copy prepared by Sec. Dom Betancourt. Translation included.
- Creation: circa 1675-1918
- Wright, Col. John Womack, 1876-1953 (Person)
- Blaeu, Willem Janszoon, 1571-1638 (Person)
- Homann, Johann Baptist, 1663-1724 (Person)
- L'Isle, Guillaume de, 1675-1726 (Person)
- Lotter, Tobias Conrad, 1717-1777 (Person)
- Saint Helene, Placide de (Person)
- Senex, John, d. 1740 (Person)
- Seutter, Matthaeus, 1678-1756 (Person)
- Visscher, Nicolaes, 1649-1702 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access:
Collection is open to all researchers. Before publishing quotations or excerpts from any materials, permission must be obtained from the Manuscripts and Rare Books Librarian, and the holder of the copyright, if not Swem Library. Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations, such as the Virginia Public Records Act (Code of Virginia. § 42.1-76-91); and the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (Code of Virginia § 2.2-3705.5). Confidential material may include, but is not limited to, educational, medical, and personnel records. If sensitive material is found in this collection, please contact a staff member immediately. The disclosure of personally identifiable information pertaining to a living individual may have legal consequences for which the College of William and Mary assumes no responsibility.
3.30 Linear Feet
Arrangement of Materials:
Organized into 6 series. See findingaid link below. Acc. 1931.122 letter filed with Box 1.
Gifts include accessions from 1946 to 1947, and one in 1931.
A PDF document of this inventory is available online.
Additional information may be found at http://scrc.swem.wm.edu/findingaids/65_W93_Wright__John.pdf
Genre / Form
- Guide to the John Womack Wright Collection of Maps
- Finding Aid Authors: Special Collections Staff.
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- The collection description/finding aid is written in English