Records of the Colonial Capitol Branch of the Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities(APVA), Williamsburg, Va. Includes correspondence, financial and legal documents, minutes and photographs.
The long run of minutes, 1900-1976, document the development and work of this preservation group which took an interest in the historical sites of Jamestown and Williamsburg, Va. There is material relating to the Branch's work to preserve and restore the Capitol grounds, the Gaol, the Powder Magazine and Bruton Parish Church. Records show not only the internal workings of the Colonial Capitol Branch but also the organizational structure of the APVA as a whole. Includes photographs, 1900-1910, of Jamestown Island.
Additions to the collection include records, 1891-1936, including yearbooks, 1896, 1908-1910 and 1919 and a biographical sketch of Cynthia Beverley Tucker Coleman.
Collection is open to all researchers except for the following: Acc. 1989.59 Addition, Box 3, contains select material that is closed to researchers until 2024. Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations, such as the Virginia Public Records Act (Code of Virginia. § 42.1-76-91); and the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (Code of Virginia § 2.2-3705.5). Confidential material may include, but is not limited to, educational, medical, and personnel records. If sensitive material is found in this collection, please contact a staff member immediately. The disclosure of personally identifiable information pertaining to a living individual may have legal consequences for which the College of William and Mary assumes no responsibility.
Before reproducing or quoting from any materials, in whole or in part, permission must be obtained from the Special Collections Research Center, and the holder of the copyright, if not Swem Library.
5.50 Linear Feet
Acc. 1982.54 (Mss 82 A7); Acc. 1989.59 Gift of the Colonial Capital Branch through historian Walter J. Mueller; Acc. 1997.08 Gift of Colonial Capital Branch, A.P.V.A., through Mrs. Frank Force.
In 2009 the APVA changed it's name to Preservation Virginia.
Processed by Joan Gosnell, SCRC staff, in 1983.