Correspondence, 1869-1873, of John S. Wise concerning the application of his brother Doctor Richard A. Wise for positions as professor at the College of William and Mary, and at the University of Virginia; and as superintendent at the Central Lunatic Asylum, Richmond, Va. Correspondents include William E. Cameron, John W. Daniel, Benjamin S. Ewell, Hugh Blair Grigsby, John S. Mosby, Charles S. Venable and Richard A. Wise.
Collection is open to all researchers. Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations, such as the Virginia Public Records Act (Code of Virginia. § 42.1-76-91); and the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (Code of Virginia § 2.2-3705.5). Confidential material may include, but is not limited to, educational, medical, and personnel records. If sensitive material is found in this collection, please contact a staff member immediately. The disclosure of personally identifiable information pertaining to a living individual may have legal consequences for which the College of William and Mary assumes no responsibility.
Before reproducing or quoting from any materials, in whole or in part, permission must be obtained from the Special Collections Research Center, and the holder of the copyright, if not Swem Library.
John S. Wise was the son of Henry Alexander Wise and was born in Brazil in 1846. He attended Virginia Military Institute and fought with the cadets at the Battle of New Market. He graduated from the law department at the University of Virginia, was U. S. Attorney for the eastern district of Virginia, and served in Congress 1883-1885. He was a Readjuster and later, a Republican. He moved to New York City to practice law. John S. Wise died in 1913. Further information about this individual or organization may be available in the Special Collections Research Center Wiki:
0.01 Linear Foot
Box and folder list inventory completed by Emily Eklund, SCRC staff, in March 2011.
Part of the Special Collections Research Center Repository