Collection contains account journals, some papers and other items of James M. Nicolson, a general merchant in Gloucester County, Virginia (1802-1869), an account book kept by Nicolson and Capt. John L. Hibble as Assistant Quarter Masters of the 26th Virginia Regiment, 1861-1864 (discusses slaves labors); a letter book of H. Yeatman & Co., merchants of Gloucester Court House, 1869-1870, which also contains some of Nicolson's correspondence; and ledger accounts, 1892-1899, for farming at 'Severn Hall', Gloucester County, Va. Includes a list of slaves hired out on 23 Dec. 1802.
Collection is open to all researchers. Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations, such as the Virginia Public Records Act (Code of Virginia. § 42.1-76-91); and the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (Code of Virginia § 2.2-3705.5). Confidential material may include, but is not limited to, educational, medical, and personnel records. If sensitive material is found in this collection, please contact a staff member immediately. The disclosure of personally identifiable information pertaining to a living individual may have legal consequences for which the College of William and Mary assumes no responsibility.
Before publishing quotations or excerpts from any materials, permission must be obtained from the Manuscripts and Rare Books Librarian, and the holder of the copyright, if not Swem Library.
Before using Mss. 65 N52, please see SCRC staff.
1.00 Linear Feet
1949: Deposit by Mrs. J.R. Nicolson of Selden, Virginia. 1976: Gift of Joe Nicolson. 1993: Gift of Mrs. John Tabb Duval through Spottswood Hunnicutt Jones.
Deposit by Mrs. J.R. Nicolson (Fanny J. Nicolson) included 1 leatherbound journal of Joseph S. James, grandfather of Ms. Nicholson (1828-1829) and 1 paperbound "Receipts of Personal Accounts... of Capt. J. Monroe Nicolson of the Confederate Army."
These two itens were returned to Ms. Nicolson in September 1951.
Processed by Cynthia B. Brown in 1983.
Part of the Special Collections Research Center Repository