Eastern State Hospital (Va.)--History--19th century
Found in 10 Collections and/or Records:
Broadside, "A Card from the Engineer of The E.L. Asylum" by Galba Vaiden, late engineer of the Eastern Lunatic Asylum, about favoritism in firing and hiring employees. Possibly 1890.
Small notebook, belonging to an Armistead Family member, which includes names of a circa 1910 football team following family account information from 1901. Handwriting is different.
Letter, dated April 28, 1863, from Union Major General John Adams Dix to Confederate General Henry A. Wise to stop the attacks on the Union-held insane asylum in Williamsburg, Virginia. Dix writes that, although the asylum is under the control of the Union, there have been repeated attack by officers of the Confederacy on its employees and residents. Dix also mentions he has directed General Keyes to re-occupy Williamsburg.
Photograph of the officers of Eastern State Lunatic Asylum in Williamsburg, Virginia. Identified in the photograph are Storekeeper Southall, Clerk Mercer, Superindendent Brower stands in center of door, Assistant Physician Clopton at his left, Steward Lee next, Director Wilmer, President of Directors Thompson sits before him, Director Mercer.
Additions to the Tyler Family Papers that are not shelved with Mss. 65 T97 Tyler Family Papers, Groups A-H are included on the pdf inventories.
Please see the record for 65 T97 Tyler Family Papers.
Many of these additions can logically be incorporated into the Groups A-H, and possibly will be in the future.
Diary of F. N. Walker, Captain in the 3rd South Carolina Volunteers, in which he discusses what he is reading, news he hears of battles, and marching from Manassas, Virginia, (including a visit to the battlefield of First Bull Run) to the vicinity of Yorktown and Williamsburg, Virginia (mentioning the statue of Lord Botetourt, College of William and Mary, and Eastern State Hospital).