This collection contains deeds, abstracts of title, wills, and other legal documents from the law firm of Geddy, Harris, Franck & Hickman in Williamsburg, Virginia. The bulk of the material consists of abstracts of title to real property located in Williamsburg, Virginia, and nearby counties, including the Historic Area of Colonial Williamsburg, from the 1920s to the 1950s, as well as deeds to properties in Williamsburg and nearby counties from the 1880s to the 1950s.
Collection is open to all researchers. Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations, such as the Virginia Public Records Act (Code of Virginia. Â§ 42.1-76-91); and the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (Code of Virginia Â§ 2.2-3705.5). Confidential material may include, but is not limited to, educational, medical, and personnel records. If sensitive material is found in this collection, please contact a staff member immediately. The disclosure of personally identifiable information pertaining to a living individual may have legal consequences for which the College of William and Mary assumes no responsibility.
Before reproducing or quoting from any materials, in whole or in part, permission must be obtained from the Special Collections Research Center, and the holder of the copyright, if not Swem Library.
Vernon M. Geddy, Jr. was a mayor of Williamsburg, Virginia and a member of Bruton Parish Church. Further information about this individual or organization may be available in the Special Collections Research Center Wiki:
4.20 Linear Feet
This collection is arranged in six series: Series 1, Deeds and other legal documents, 1773-1958; Series 2, Abstracts of title, circa 1902-1959; Series 3, Other real estate documents, 1850-1958 and undated; Series 4, Correspondence, 1899-1953 and undated; Series 5, Administrative documents, 1902-1955 and undated; Series 6, Financial documents, 1909-1953.
Acc. 2013.112 was picked up from the donor by Special Collections on 6/14/2013.
The collection was accessioned and minimally described by Steven Bookman, University Archives Specialist, in July 2013. It was further processed by Del Moore, SCRC volunteer, in 2014. The material was received originally in four banker's boxes: Box 1, Deeds and other legal documents; Box 2, Miscellaneous documents and abstracts of title prepared for Colonial Williamsburg; Boxes 3 and 4, Abstracts of title.