Papers including correspondence concerning Millington's experiences as directing engineer of the Anglo-Mexican Mining Association, as professor at College of William and Mary where he lived in the Wythe House, as professor at University of Mississippi, and at Memphis Medical College. Includes diaries covering 1832, 1835, and 1861-1867; letters of his family members; and Blankenship family land records and letters concerning the Spanish-American War.
Collection is open to all researchers. Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations, such as the Virginia Public Records Act (Code of Virginia. § 42.1-76-91); and the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (Code of Virginia § 2.2-3705.5). Confidential material may include, but is not limited to, educational, medical, and personnel records. If sensitive material is found in this collection, please contact a staff member immediately. The disclosure of personally identifiable information pertaining to a living individual may have legal consequences for which the College of William and Mary assumes no responsibility.
Before reproducing or quoting from any materials, in whole or in part, permission must be obtained from the Special Collections Research Center, and the holder of the copyright, if not Swem Library.
John Millington was born May 11, 1779 near London. Licensed as attorney in England, he later turned to engineering. Professor of Royal Institution. In 1829, moved to Mexico as engineer with Anglo-Mexican Mining Association. Moved to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 1832. Professor of Chemistry and Natural Philosophy at College of William and Mary, 1836-1848. Took degree of doctor of medicine at Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia. Professor of Chemistry and Natural Science at University of Mississippi. Professor, Memphis (Tennessee) Medical College. Died in 1868.
8.00 Linear Feet
This collection is currently being processed. Please consult a staff member for further information.
The material from Acc. 1980.124 was previously part of the John Millington Collection, UA 6.015.
Gifts were made by Dr. Millington (grandson of J. Millington) in 1936, and by Mrs. Kate Millington Blankenship and family between 1939-1953. Additional purchases have been made by Special Collections Research Center between 1951 and 1988. Acc. 1988.08 was purchased and received on 1/26/1988.
Roll of undeveloped photographs taken in Cuba by L.F.B. Blankenship were transferred to the Manuscripts Photograph Collection, 9 February 9, 2012.
Artifacts were transferred to the Manuscripts Artifact Collection (Mss. 1.03), and are in the process of being described. Artifacts with descriptions include: Watercolor of Sudbury Church (65M59.01), match box (65M59.A02.2), name plate (65M59.A02.4), ivory seal (65M59.A02.7), porcelain lids (65M59.A02.8a), small cup (65.M59.A02.8b), broken bowl (65M59.A02.8c), clay mortars (65M59.A02.8d), fish painting on glass (65M59.A02.8e), bronze powder (65M59.A02.8f)
Thomas Millington's watercolor painting of Bruton Parish Church was transferred from the John Millington Papers (Mss. 65 M59, Box 18, Folder 11) to the Thomas Millington Collection (MS 00306) on July 29, 2019.
The collection was rehoused into new boxes and folders, and the box and folder list were compiled by Matt Abel and Jenn Quirnback from December 2012-March 2013. As a result, box and folder numbers from the original paper finding aid have been updated.