Thomas Putnam Chapman, Jr. Papers
Scope and Contents
Collection of letters, cards, ephemera, and personal items belonging to Thomas Putnam Chapman, Jr. A large portion of the letters are written to his family from his time spent as a student at the College of William and Mary. Included with Thomas' letters are letters from his father and other family members. This collections is currently in processing and is not fully available to researchers. The collection guide will be updated once processing of the collection is complete.
- Creation: 1875-1935
- Chapman, Thomas Putnam, Jr. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to all researchers. Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations, such as the Virginia Public Records Act (Code of Virginia. § 42.1-76-91); and the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (Code of Virginia § 2.2-3705.5). Confidential material may include, but is not limited to, educational, medical, and personnel records. If sensitive material is found in this collection, please contact a staff member immediately. The disclosure of personally identifiable information pertaining to a living individual may have legal consequences for which the College of William and Mary assumes no responsibility.
Conditions Governing Use
Before publishing quotations or excerpts from any materials, permission must be obtained from the Curator of Manuscripts and Rare Books, and the holder of the copyright, if not Swem Library.
4.0 Linear Feet
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift from the family of Thomas Putnam Chapman, Jr., 2019.
- Guide to the Thomas Putnam Chapman, Jr. Family Letters
- Daniil Eliseev, Student Assistant
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Edition statement
- This collection contains letters and correspondence between family and friends of the Chapman family, chiefly created by Judge Samuel M. Chapman (1839-1907) of Plattsmouth, Nebraska and his son Thomas Putnam Chapman, Sr. (1875-1936) of Vienna, Virginia. Letters also contain correspondence from Thomas Putnam Chapman, Jr. ’25 (1903-1984) during his time as a student at the College of William & Mary. It also includes ephemera from the YMCA War Workers, postcards, and genealogical information regarding the Chapman, Pierce, and Putnam families.