Dowdy Family Letters
Collection of letters to and from the Dowdy family from 1944-69. Daniel and Gladys Dowdy were residents of Eggleston, VA. Their letters to each other, written in 1944-45, discuss their life together, their plans for after the war, and their romance in explicit detail. Also includes letters from 1961-62 from the Dowdy children's German penpal, and letters from 1969 as son Harold began basic training in the US Army.
- Creation: 1944-1969
- Creation: Majority of material found within 1944-1945
- Dowdy, Daniel David (Person)
Biographical / Historical
Daniel David Dowdy was born in 1925 in Giles, VA, and enlisted in the US Army in 1944. Gladys Pyne was born in 1924, and they married in 1944. They divorced in 1970 and Daniel remarried soon after. Gladys died in 2000 and Daniel died in 2007.
0.25 Linear Feet
- Guide to the Dowdy Family Letters
- Olivia Weiss, SCRC Apprentice
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note