Collection of John Lesslie Hall, a William and Mary faculty member from 1888-1928. The collection includes biographical material; notebooks; publications; pictures; speeches and addresses; Notes on Bruton Parish Church; correspondence; and tax levies.
Collection is open to all researchers. Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations, such as the Virginia Public Records Act (Code of Virginia. § 42.1-76-91); and the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (Code of Virginia § 2.2-3705.5). Confidential material may include, but is not limited to, educational, medical, and personnel records. If sensitive material is found in this collection, please contact a staff member immediately. The disclosure of personally identifiable information pertaining to a living individual may have legal consequences for which the College of William and Mary assumes no responsibility.
Conditions Governing Use:
Before reproducing or quoting from any materials, in whole or in part, permission must be obtained from the Special Collections Research Center, and the holder of the copyright, if not Swem Library.
John Lesslie Hall was a member of the faculty of the College of William and Mary from 1888 to 1928. He was born in Richmond, Va., 2 March 1856. He attended Randolph-Macon College. Taught school. Married Margaret Fenwick. Among other volumes, he published a translation of Beowulf and co-authored an Anglo-Saxon grammar. Hall died in 1928. Further information about this individual or organization may be available in the Special Collections Research Center Wiki: .
Phi Beta Kappa Records of John Lesslie Hall and Charles Washington Coleman (UA 6.022)