"Benefactions of Francis Nicholson, Esqr. to the Church & Clergy in North America" prepared by Rev. George Keith, which lists the churches and amounts of money given by Nicholson to build churches from 1689 to 1704. Also noted is "Benefaction to the College of Williamsburgh in Virginia of several hundred pounds." Keith was agent for the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts. 8 pages. There is an incomplete contemporary copy as well as a typescript of the manuscript. From the library of Gordon W. Jones.
Collection is open to all researchers. Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations, such as the Virginia Public Records Act (Code of Virginia. § 42.1-76-91); and the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (Code of Virginia § 2.2-3705.5). Confidential material may include, but is not limited to, educational, medical, and personnel records. If sensitive material is found in this collection, please contact a staff member immediately. The disclosure of personally identifiable information pertaining to a living individual may have legal consequences for which the College of William and Mary assumes no responsibility.
Before reproducing or quoting from any materials, in whole or in part, permission must be obtained from the Special Collections Research Center, and the holder of the copyright, if not Swem Library.
George Keith was founder of "Christian Quakers." Surveyor-general of New Jersey to run boundary between East and West Jersey. In 1700 entered Anglican church and served in America as agent of the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts. Francis Nicholson was colonial governor of Virginia, Maryland and South Carolina. Further information about this individual or organization may be available in the Special Collections Research Center Wiki: .
1.00 Linear Feet