Skip to main content

Young Women's Club of Williamsburg Installation Program

 Collection
Identifier: SC 00971

Scope and Contents

Programs for Junior Class of Matthew Whaley School, "Don't Take My Penny," Friday, March 13, [1942], and Annual Installation Banquet of the Young Women's Club of Williamsburg, May 13, 1949.

Dates

  • 1949 May 3

Creator

Language of Materials

English

Conditions Governing Access:

Collection is open to all researchers. Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations, such as the Virginia Public Records Act (Code of Virginia. § 42.1-76-91); and the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (Code of Virginia § 2.2-3705.5). Confidential material may include, but is not limited to, educational, medical, and personnel records. If sensitive material is found in this collection, please contact a staff member immediately. The disclosure of personally identifiable information pertaining to a living individual may have legal consequences for which the College of William and Mary assumes no responsibility.

Conditions Governing Use:

Before reproducing or quoting from any materials, in whole or in part, permission must be obtained from the Special Collections Research Center, and the holder of the copyright, if not Swem Library.

Historical Note:

The Young Woman’s Club of Williamsburg was federated March 22, 1949. After the Club voted to divide and form a Junior Woman’s Club in January, 1954, the Club was renamed “The Woman’s Club of Williamsburg”.

Membership provides affiliation with the Virginia Federation of Women’s Clubs (VFWC) and the General Federation of Women’s Clubs (GFWC).

Club is in the Tidewater District of VFWC, which includes Eastern Shore, Hampton, Newport News, Norfolk, Poquoson, Portsmouth, Toano, Virginia Beach, York County, James City County, and Williamsburg.

The VFWC was organized in 1907. The GFWC was organized in 1890, and chartered by Congress in 1901. It is the oldest and largest non-denominational, nonpartisan, international service of volunteer women in the world. Membership includes all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and 45 countries and territories.

Work together as volunteers to benefit designated community organizations and projects, thereby enriching the quality of life for all citizens of the Greater Williamsburg Area.

Extent

0.01 Linear Foot

Acquisition Information:

Gift via the Williamsburg Historic Records Association.

Related Materials:

Mss. Acc. 1998.35 and Additions:  Woman’s Club of Williamsburg Records

Mss. Acc. 2008.76 Williamsburg Woman's Club World War II Oral History Project Collection.

Separated Materials:

1942 Matthew Whaley School programs transferred to the Matthew Whaley School Collection in 2009.

Processing Information:

1942 Matthew Whaley School programs transferred to the Matthew Whaley School Collection in 2009.
Title
Guide to the Young Women's Club of Williamsburg Installation Program
Author
Finding Aid Authors: Anne Johnson, SCRC Staff.
Date
2009-10-16
Language of description
The collection description/finding aid is written in English

Repository Details

Part of the Special Collections Research Center Repository

Contact: