Edward R. Jones, Jr. Papers
Scope and Contents
Letters, 1861-1898, bulk, 1861-1864, of Edward R. Jones, Jr. of Co. K, 95th Pennsylvania Volunteers. (Col. John M. Gosline's Pennsylvania Zouaves) written to his mother, aunt, cousin, and William Butt, Jr. Letters were written from Virginia, Maryland, and Washington, D.C. and describe camp life and battle, express his views on the war, and discuss family affairs. Includes a description of John S. Mosby's Partisan Rangers and Jones' part at the Battle of Fredericksburg (1862). He also discusses battle conditions at West Point, Gains Mills, Charles City Cross Roads, Malvern Hill, South Mountain, Antietam, Salem Heights, Gettysburg, Locust Grove, 3rd Fredericksburg, and 2nd Bull Run. Collection also contains post-war correspondence discussing the war and an 1898 roster of Survivors of the 95th Pennsylvania., with Edward R. Jones then listed as living in Beverly, New Jersey.
- Creation: 1861-1898, circa 1992
- Jones, Edward R., Jr. (Person)
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access:
Collection is open to all researchers. Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations, such as the Virginia Public Records Act (Code of Virginia. § 42.1-76-91); and the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (Code of Virginia § 2.2-3705.5). Confidential material may include, but is not limited to, educational, medical, and personnel records. If sensitive material is found in this collection, please contact a staff member immediately. The disclosure of personally identifiable information pertaining to a living individual may have legal consequences for which the College of William and Mary assumes no responsibility.
Conditions Governing Use:
Before reproducing or quoting from any materials, in whole or in part, permission must be obtained from the Special Collections Research Center, and the holder of the copyright, if not Swem Library.
Edward R. Jones, Jr. served as a private in Company K, 95th Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers (Col. John M. Gosline's Penn. Zouaves). Jones served in Virginia, Maryland, and Washington, D.C. and saw action at Fredericksburg, West Point, Gains Mills, Charles City Cross Roads, Malvern Hill, South Mountain, Antietam, Salem Heights, Gettysburg, Locust Grove, 3rd Fredericksburg, and 2nd Bull Run.
0.02 Linear Feet
All audiovisual material from this collection has been moved to the Manuscripts Audiovisual Collection.
This collection was previously identifed as Mss 94 J57.
Processed by Daisy Hougan in 1994.
Genre / Form
- Antietam, Battle of, Md., 1862
- Battle of Gaines' Mill, 1862
- Battle of Locust Grove, 1862
- Battle of Malvern Hill, 1862
- Battle of South Mountain, 1862
- Battle of West Point (Ga.), 1865
- Bull Run, 1st Battle of, Va., 1861
- Bull Run, 2nd Battle of, Va.,1862
- Fredericksburg (Va.), Battle of, 1862
- Gettysburg, Battle of, Gettysburg, Pa., 1863
- Malvern Hill (Va.), Battle of, 1862
- Peninsular Campaign, 1862
- South Mountain, Battle of, Md., 1862.
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- Guide to the Edward R. Jones, Jr. Papers
- Finding Aid Authors: Daisy Hougan.
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- The collection description/finding aid is written in English