Adee Family Papers
Scope and Contents
Letters, 1863-1865, received by Etta Adee of Barrington , N. Y. from "brother John" with [29th Iowa Infantry Regiment] in Arkansas and Louisiana; and from John S. Miller of 29th Iowa Infantry stationed as provost guard at St. Louis, Mo. One letter describes Battle of Jenkins Ferry in which the Iowa unit stormed a Confederate battery along with troops from 2nd Kansas Infantry (later 83rd United States Colored Troops.)
- Creation: 1862-1865
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access:
Collection is open to all researchers. Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations, such as the Virginia Public Records Act (Code of Virginia. § 42.1-76-91); and the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (Code of Virginia § 2.2-3705.5). Confidential material may include, but is not limited to, educational, medical, and personnel records. If sensitive material is found in this collection, please contact a staff member immediately. The disclosure of personally identifiable information pertaining to a living individual may have legal consequences for which the College of William and Mary assumes no responsibility.
Conditions Governing Use:
Before reproducing or quoting from any materials, in whole or in part, permission must be obtained from the Special Collections Research Center, and the holder of the copyright, if not Swem Library.
0.01 Linear Foot
Additional information may be found at http://ead.lib.virginia.edu/vivaead/published/wm/viw00127.frame
Genre / Form
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--African Americans
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Participation, African American
- United States. Army. Infantry Division, 83rd
- United States. Army. Iowa Infantry Regiment, 29th
- United States. Army. Kansas Infantry Regiment, 2nd
- Guide to the Adee Family Papers
- Finding Aid Authors: Special Collections Staff.
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- The collection description/finding aid is written in English