Correspondence and accounts of "Tyler's Quarterly", edited by Lyon G. Tyler and Sue Ruffin Tyler.
Collection is open to all researchers. Before publishing quotations or excerpts from any materials, permission must be obtained from the Special Collections Research Center, and the holder of the copyright, if not Swem Library. Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations, such as the Virginia Public Records Act (Code of Virginia. § 42.1-76-91); and the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (Code of Virginia § 2.2-3705.5). Confidential material may include, but is not limited to, educational, medical, and personnel records. If sensitive material is found in this collection, please contact a staff member immediately. The disclosure of personally identifiable information pertaining to a living individual may have legal consequences for which the College of William and Mary assumes no responsibility.
Lyon Gardiner Tyler was the son of John Tyler (1790-1862) and his second wife Julia Gardiner Tyler. He received a master's degree from the University of Virginia and was professor at the College of William and Mary and principal of Memphis Academy. He established a law practice in Richmond and served in the Virginia House of Delegates. He became president of William and Mary in 1888, serving until 1919. Tyler married twice, to Anne Baker Tucker Tyler (1860-1921) and to Sue Ruffin Tyler who died in 1953. Tyler founded the William and Mary Quarterly and Tyler's Quarterly and was the author of the Letters and Times of the Tylers, Parties and Patronage in the United States, England in America and History of Virginia: Volume II The Federal Period. He edited Men of Mark in Virginia, Narratives of Early Virginia and the Encyclopedia of Virginia Biography. Tyler served as president of the College of William and Mary from 1888 until 1919.
18.00 Linear Feet
W&M Special Collections Research Center began acquiring and collecting Tyler family papers in 1922 and the collection has grown considerably since. The vast majority of this collection was donated by generous family and friends of the Tyler family between 1922 and 2002, with the bulk of the collection being donated to in 1949 by Mrs. Sue Ruffin Tyler and in 1955 by the children of Lyon G. Tyler. Some materials in this collection were purchased by W&M Special Collections Research Center.
Box and folder list compiled by Tess Curry, SCRC staff, in October 2011. Designation "III-b" was changed to Group C.