Acc. 1979.031: This accession contains office files from 1920-1942.
Acc. 1983.085: This accession contains office files from the 1940s and 1950s. These include reports of the Curriculum Committee, correspondence with the President and others, materials from the faculty protest of 1951, letters of faculty appointments and salaries, and selective service classifications of faculty members.
Acc. 1998.091: Records of Kremer Jacob Hoke, 1920s-1930s. This accession contains correspondence with the Association of American Universities, the Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools in the South, the Association of Virginia Colleges, and the Virginia Education Association. it also contains a faculty questionnaire from 1926.
This collection also contains correspondence about faculty matters from 1947-1968 that was previously part of the University Archives Publications Collection. The inventory for these records is available in the box list section of this finding aid.
This collection contains material which may be restricted related to personnel matters, student records, or other reasons. A Special Collections Research Center staff member must review the collection for restricted material before any researchers may use the collection. Consult a staff member for assistance. Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations, such as the Virginia Public Records Act (Code of Virginia. § 42.1-76-91); and the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (Code of Virginia § 2.2-3705.5). Confidential material may include, but is not limited to, educational, medical, and personnel records. If sensitive material is found in this collection, please contact a staff member immediately. The disclosure of personally identifiable information pertaining to a living individual may have legal consequences for which the College of William and Mary assumes no responsibility.
Before reproducing or quoting from any materials, in whole or in part, permission must be obtained from the Special Collections Research Center, and the holder of the copyright, if not Swem Library.
In 1909, the Dean of the College was created at the College of William and Mary. The first Dean of the College was John Lesslie Hall, Professor of English and History at the College from 1888-1928. Hall served as Dean of the College from 1909-1920. Kremer J. Hoke, Professor of Education from 1920-1944, was Dean of the College from 1922-1938. In 1938, the Dean of the College was renamed the Dean of the Faculty with James Wilkinson Miller, Professor of Philosophy from 1935-1955, as its first Dean from 1938-1946.
In 1946, the Dean of the College was reestablished with Sharvy Umbeck, Professor of Sociology from 1938-1949, as Dean from 1946-1949. Nelson Marshall, Professor of Biology from 1949-1951, was the next Dean of the College. When Nelson resigned in 1951, the Dean of the Faculty was reestablished and took over the duties of the Dean of the College with James Wilkinson Miller as Dean from 1951-1952. In 1964, the Dean of the College was reestablished again for the last time with Dr. W. Melville Jones, Professor of English from 1928-1971, as Dean. The Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences was also created in 1964, and since 1967 it continues to meet the needs of the departments and programs within Arts and Sciences. Further information about this individual or organization may be available in the Special Collections Research Center Wiki: .
24.40 Linear Feet
Portions of this collection is kept offsite. Please consult a staff member for assistance.
Portions of this collection were previously part of the University Archives Publications Collection.
Acc. 1979.031 transferred from James Blair Attic 05/1979; Acc. 1983.085 transferred from W. Melville Jones 06/11/1959; Acc. 1998.091 transferred from the Dean of the College 12/1998.