This scrapbook holds photographs of the College of William and Mary. Included are images of several buildings, such as (but not limited to) the old gymnasium (demolished in 1931), several dormitories for both women and men, the dining hall, and Lake Matoaka. There is also a photograph of the 1923 women's basketball team and individual shots of each player.
The scrapbook also includes images of President Warren G. Harding's visit to campus in 1921.
Additionally, there are photographs of the local Williamsburg area, including Eastern State Hospital (identified as the Asylum), Bruton Parish Church, and parts of today's Colonial Williamsburg, such as the Wythe House and the Magazine.
This collection is open to all researchers. Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations, such as the Virginia Public Records Act (Code of Virginia. § 42.1-76-91); and the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (Code of Virginia § 2.2-3705.5). Confidential material may include, but is not limited to, educational, medical, and personnel records. If sensitive material is found in this collection, please contact a staff member immediately. The disclosure of personally identifiable information pertaining to a living individual may have legal consequences for which the College of William and Mary assumes no responsibility.
Conditions Governing Use:
Before reproducing or quoting from any materials, in whole or in part, permission must be obtained from the Special Collections Research Center, and the holder of the copyright, if not Swem Library.
Part of the Special Collections Research Center Repository
J. Paul Essex Papers, Special Collections Research Center, Earl Gregg Swem Library, College of William and Mary. https://scrcguides.libraries.wm.edu/repositories/2/resources/1284 Accessed November 12, 2019.