Series 1: This series consists of material that was removed from the University Archives Publications Collection related to the Richmond Professional Institute and its predecessors. The publications include the student newspapers The Atlas and The Proscript, accreditation reports, athletic reports, as well as miscellaneous brochures and ephemera. The inventory for this accession is available below in the finding aid/inventory section of this finding aid.
Series 2: Acc. 1984.072: This accession includes reports prepared by the Richmond Professional Institute detailing income and expenditures, with lists of insurance policies and information about the investment in a physical plant.
This collection is open to all researchers. Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations, such as the Virginia Public Records Act (Code of Virginia. § 42.1-76-91); and the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (Code of Virginia § 2.2-3705.5). Confidential material may include, but is not limited to, educational, medical, and personnel records. If sensitive material is found in this collection, please contact a staff member immediately. The disclosure of personally identifiable information pertaining to a living individual may have legal consequences for which the College of William and Mary assumes no responsibility.
Conditions Governing Use:
Before reproducing or quoting from any materials, in whole or in part, permission must be obtained from the Special Collections Research Center, and the holder of the copyright, if not Swem Library.
The Richmond School of Social Work and Public Health was established in 1917, which in 1925 became the Richmond Division of the College of William and Mary. In 1939 the division was known as the Richmond Professional Institute; it separated from William and Mary and came under state control in 1962. The Medical College of Virginia and the Richmond Professional Institute merged in 1968 to form Virginia Commonwealth University.
The collection is arranged into two series: Series 1: Publications, 1925-1962; Series 2: Acc. 1984.072, circa 1925-1960.
Physical Characteristics or Technical Requirements:
Portions of this collection are kept offsite. Consult staff for assistance.
The provenance of the material that was removed from the University Archives Publications Collection related to this campus is not documented.
Acc. 1984.072 was received on 10/1/1984.
Future accruals are not expected.
See also the records of the Norfolk Division as they include reports by the Commonwealth Auditor of Public Accounts to determine the extent to which the Commonwealth of Virginia was subsidizing education at William and Mary and its branch campuses in Richmond and Norfolk for the period 1942-1950.
See also the University Archives Photograph Collection (UA 8), University Archives Subject File Collection (UA 9), University Archives Faculty-Alumni File Collection (UA 10), University Archives Poster Collection (UA 12), University Archives Audiovisual Collection (UA 58), records of the Office of the President (UA 2), and other administrative records of the College of William and Mary.
Part of the Special Collections Research Center Repository
College of William and Mary, Richmond Professional Institute Records, Special Collections Research Center, Earl Gregg Swem Library, College of William and Mary. https://scrcguides.libraries.wm.edu/repositories/2/resources/1080 Accessed November 12, 2019.