Phi Beta Kappa Records of John Lesslie Hall and Charles Washington Coleman
Scope and Contents
Primarily Phi Beta Kappa correspondence of Charles Washington Coleman and John Lesslie Hall, both of whom served as Secretary of the Alpha of Virginia chapter. Also includes some meetings of minutes, poems, addresses, and bylaws; a notebook listing "Distinctions awarded in English and in History;" obituaries of Hall; English examinations (questions only)' documents from George Willis Guy about his high school and college course work.
- Creation: 1888-1928
- Creation: Majority of material found in 1888-1928
- Phi Beta Kappa (Organization)
- Coleman, Charles Washington, 1862-1932 (Person)
- Hall, J. Lesslie (John Lesslie), 1856- (Person)
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access:
The collection is open to all researchers. Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations, such as the Virginia Public Records Act (Code of Virginia. § 42.1-76-91); and the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (Code of Virginia § 2.2-3705.5). Confidential material may include, but is not limited to, educational, medical, and personnel records. If sensitive material is found in this collection, please contact a staff member immediately. The disclosure of personally identifiable information pertaining to a living individual may have legal consequences for which the College of William and Mary assumes no responsibility.
Conditions Governing Use:
Before reproducing or quoting from any materials, in whole or in part, permission must be obtained from the Special Collections Research Center, and the holder of the copyright, if not Swem Library.
Phi Beta Kappa was founded by five students at the College of William and Mary in 1776.
1.00 Linear Feet
- College of William and Mary. Dept. of English (Organization)
- College of William and Mary. Dept. of History (Organization)
- Phi Beta Kappa. Virginia Alpha (College of William and Mary) (Organization)
- Guide to the Phi Beta Kappa Records of John Lesslie Hall and Charles Washington Coleman
- Finding Aid Authors: Special Collections Staff.
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- The collection description/finding aid is written in English