Thomas Walker Gilmer, Washington, DC, to Ann E. Gilmer, Charlottesville, Virginia, 1843 February 5
Scope and Contents
Reports that although the doctor treated him, he does not feel much better; states that he will change doctors if he does not get relief in a week to ten days; wishes that she would take up Christianity so that "we would then be unitied for eternity as well as time;" discusses the virtue of being a Christian; wonders "why does not my wife, my dear wife make a profession of religion?;" preaches at her on the necessity to accept Christ; asks her to read a chapter in their family Bible before going to bed. 7 pp. ALS.
- 1843 February 5
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access:
Collection is open to all researchers. Before publishing quotations or excerpts from any materials, permission must be obtained from the Manuscripts and Rare Books Librarian, and the holder of the copyright, if not Swem Library. Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations, such as the Virginia Public Records Act (Code of Virginia. § 42.1-76-91); and the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (Code of Virginia § 2.2-3705.5). Confidential material may include, but is not limited to, educational, medical, and personnel records. If sensitive material is found in this collection, please contact a staff member immediately. The disclosure of personally identifiable information pertaining to a living individual may have legal consequences for which the College of William and Mary assumes no responsibility.
From the Collection: 6.00 Linear Feet : 17th and early 18th century materials are photocopies.
- From the Collection: Gardiner Family (Family)
- From the Collection: Beeckman, Margaret Gardiner, d. 1857 (Person)
- From the Collection: Copland, Charles (Person)
- From the Collection: Gardiner, Alexander, d. 1850 (Person)
- From the Collection: Gardiner, David Lyon (Person)
- From the Collection: Gardiner, Juliana McLachlan, d. 1864 (Person)
- From the Collection: Gilmer Family (Family)
- From the Collection: Gilmer, Anne Baker (Person)
- From the Collection: Gilmer, Thomas Walker (Person)
- From the Collection: Nicholson, Francis, 1655-1728 (Person)
- From the Collection: Peticolas, C. L. Southern Cross (Person)
- From the Collection: Tucker, St. George, 1752-1827 (Person)
- From the Collection: Tyler Family (Family)