Folder 1, 1843
Scope and Contents
Papers, 1645-1917, of the Gardiner family, the Gilmer family, the family of St. George Tucker (1828-1863) and miscellaneous other people unrelated to the Tylers, Tuckers, Gilmers, or Gardiners.
Boxes I-III contain papers (many are typescript copies) of the Gardiner family of New York. Include letters of Juliana McLachlan Gardiner, her sons David Lyon Gardiner, Alexander Gardiner and daughter Margaret Gardiner Beeckman.
Boxes IV-V contain papers, 1814-1842, of the Gilmer family of Albemarle County. Include letters of Thomas Walker Gilmer to his wife Anne E. Baker Gilmer concerning family, religion, politics, and the annexation of Texas; and speeches of Gilmer.
Box VI contains papers, 1812-1895, of St. George Tucker (1828- 1863) and his family. Includes letters, poems, speeches and literary works by Tucker as well as the sheet music, "The Southern Cross" for which Tucker wrote the lyrics.
Boxes VII-XII contain miscellaneous manuscripts, 1645-ca. 1860. Includes two letters, 1700-1701, of Francis Nicholson; copies of Revolutionary War and Civil War letters; transcripts of documents, genealogical notes and manuscript volumes (including Gardiner account books, two volumes of poems by St. George Tucker, an unidentified diary kept in a 1766 Virginia almanac; and copy of diary, 1788-1822, of Charles Copland.
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access:
Collection is open to all researchers. Before publishing quotations or excerpts from any materials, permission must be obtained from the Manuscripts and Rare Books Librarian, and the holder of the copyright, if not Swem Library. Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations, such as the Virginia Public Records Act (Code of Virginia. § 42.1-76-91); and the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (Code of Virginia § 2.2-3705.5). Confidential material may include, but is not limited to, educational, medical, and personnel records. If sensitive material is found in this collection, please contact a staff member immediately. The disclosure of personally identifiable information pertaining to a living individual may have legal consequences for which the College of William and Mary assumes no responsibility.
From the Collection: 6.00 Linear Feet : 17th and early 18th century materials are photocopies.
- From the Collection: Gardiner Family (Family)
- From the Collection: Beeckman, Margaret Gardiner, d. 1857 (Person)
- From the Collection: Copland, Charles (Person)
- From the Collection: Gardiner, Alexander, d. 1850 (Person)
- From the Collection: Gardiner, David Lyon (Person)
- From the Collection: Gardiner, Juliana McLachlan, d. 1864 (Person)
- From the Collection: Gilmer Family (Family)
- From the Collection: Gilmer, Anne Baker (Person)
- From the Collection: Gilmer, Thomas Walker (Person)
- From the Collection: Nicholson, Francis, 1655-1728 (Person)
- From the Collection: Peticolas, C. L. Southern Cross (Person)
- From the Collection: Tucker, St. George, 1752-1827 (Person)
- From the Collection: Tyler Family (Family)