Skip to main content

Arms and Seal of the College of William and Mary

 File — Box: 1, Folder: 1
Identifier: id3411

Scope and Contents

Original certificate appointing William [also referred to as Edward Gibson], Archbishop of Canterbury, Chancellor of the College of William and Mary. Signed by James Blair, rector, 1729. Bears impression of original College seal. [In Faculty/Alumni file under Gibson, Edward.] photocopy of original lease given by the College of William and Mary to Augustine Claiborne, covering a tract of land in Sussex County, 1 January 1762. Bears original seal of the College. An impression of the College seal adopted in 1930. Correspondence of Howard M. Buck, of Washington, DC, with E. G. Swem, concerning the design of the seal of the College of William and Mary, 1922.


  • Creation: circa 1880s-1990s


Language of Materials

From the Collection:

English Latin

Conditions Governing Access:

Collection is open to all researchers. Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations, such as the Virginia Public Records Act (Code of Virginia. § 42.1-76-91); and the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (Code of Virginia § 2.2-3705.5). Confidential material may include, but is not limited to, educational, medical, and personnel records. If sensitive material is found in this collection, please contact a staff member immediately. The disclosure of personally identifiable information pertaining to a living individual may have legal consequences for which the College of William and Mary assumes no responsibility.


From the Collection: 13.00 Linear Feet

Repository Details

Part of the Special Collections Research Center Repository