Powell, Charles Leven (1804-1896)
Found in 3 Collections and/or Records:
Identifier: UA 5.130
Scope and Contents Letter written by William & Mary student, Charles L. Hepburn, to his grandfather, Charles Leven Powell, dated January 21, 1894.Hepburn discusses the reorganization of the Virginia Alpha Chapter of Phi Beta Kappa. He states the fraternity was reorganized in December 1893 by "several old members who had been taken in here before the war." Later in the letter, he mentions a couple of those members, including Benjamin Ewell and Colonel William Lamb. He says that all faculty were...
Identifier: 01/Mss. 65 P875
Scope and Contents Letters and papers of Charles Leven Powell, his wife Selina (Lloyd) Powell and children of Loudoun County, Virginia; Henry, Illinois; Winchester, Virginia; and Alexandria, Virginia. There are also included papers of Charles Leven Powell's father, Cuthbert Powell. Prominent correspondents include Johns Hopkins, Eleanor Agnes Lee, Fitzhugh Lee, George Washington Custis Lee, Mary Anna Randolph (Custis) Lee, Hunter Holmes McGuire and James Monroe. Letters concern Robert Young...
Identifier: 01/Mss. Acc. 2007.110
Scope and Contents This collection contains the correspondence of Leven Powell, James Madison, Charles Leven Powell, Charles Leven Powell, Jr., Selina Powell Hepburn, and others. Recipients include Burr Powell, Cuthbert Powell, Sewell Stavely Hepbron [Hepburn] and others. First 30 years of correspondence is mainly written by or addressed to Leven Powell, detailing his involvement in the Revolutionary War, the Virginia House of Delegates, and the United State Congress, including letters about the Election of...
- Correspondence 2
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865 2
- African Americans--Virginia--History--19th century 1
- College of William and Mary--History--19th century 1
- College of William and Mary--Students 1
- Elections--United States--History 1
- Fraternities 1
- Freedmen--Virginia--History 1
- Kilpatrick-Dahlgren Raid, Va., 1864 1
- Loudoun County (Va.)--History--18th century 1
- Loudoun County (Va.)--History--19th century 1
- Reconstruction (U.S. history, 1865-1877)--Virginia 1
- Slavery--Virginia--18th century 1
- United States--History--Revolution, 1775-1783 1
- United States--Politics and government--1775-1809 1
- Women--United States--History--19th century 1 ∧ less