Monroe, James, 1758-1831
Found in 14 Collections and/or Records:
Papers relating to Courtland, Alabama; Huntsville, Alabama; and Lawrence County, Alabama. Includes letter, 1839 August 31, from committee of the Democratic Republicans of Courtland to Andrew Jackson inviting him to a dinner in honor of James Polk and a resolution, undated, concerning public testimonial to memory of Jackson; land grant, 1823, for land in Huntsville signed by James Monroe; and accounts of James E. Saunders.
Copy of James Monroe Land Patent
Two page copy of a land patent issued by James Monroe in 1781 to George Fitzwater in the county of Kanhawa, Virginia when he was Governor of Virginia. The copy is certified by S. H. Parker, Register of the Land office in Richmond dated June 22, 1854.
D.C. Russell Letters
Two letters from D.C. Russell, a lawyer from Albany, New York who is visiting Houston, Texas to his wife, Hattie. In the second letter, Russell reports that he fell ill and was cared for by a very kind black nurse who claimed she was once a slave owned by President Monroe. He reported that he was able to make a full recovery due to the attentiveness of this woman but that her care and the business dealings with others cost him a great deal of money.
James Monroe and William Crawford Correspondence
Collection of 30 letters. 25 letters are from President James Monroe to Secretary of the Treasury, William H. Crawford; four letters are drafts of Crawford as Secretary to President Monroe, and one letter from P. P. Saint Guirons to President Monroe.
Jay Johns Collection of James Monroe Papers
Correspondence and other material, 1780-1834, by, to, and concerning James Monroe. See inventory link (below) for folder list.
Land Grant between the Commonwealth of Virginia and Samuel Haniway and Joseph Friend, 1800 July 28
Land grant signed July 28, 1800 by Virginia Governor James Monroe to Samuel Haniway and Joseph Friend for land in Harrison County, Virginia. Harrison County is now in West Virginia.
Francis Little Collection
An artificial collection of manuscripts collected by Francis Little. Includes contract, 1770, binding William Byrd III to payment of money in a case involving Robert Carter (signed by William Byrd, John Jameson, George Wythe and Thomas Walne); letter, 1812, of William Henry Harrison to Return Jonathan Meigs concerning an expedition against Tecumseh; grant, 1822, for land in Ohio signed by James Monroe; grant, 1837, for land in Ohio; and two Civil War letters.
Monroe Family Papers
Monroe-Hay Family Papers
James Monroe (1799-1870) Family Papers
Papers, 1806-1860, primarily 1823-1845, of James Monroe (1799- 1870). Letters relate to his military career, family life, and politics. Included is correspondence to his uncle, President James Monroe.
James Monroe Free Frank Envelope
An envelope written by James Monroe from Oak Hill to Thomas W. Griffith in Baltimore, Maryland dated February 2, 1828.
James Monroe letter from Highland
One page letter addressed to an unknown recipient by James Monroe. Contents concern his plans for travel, arrival date, and an indication that he will write again once he reaches his destination. The letter was written from his home at Highland, formerly Ash Lawn, near Charlottesville, Virginia.
James Monroe Papers
Conway Whittle Papers
- Correspondence 8
- Legal documents 4
- Diplomatic and consular service 2
- Financial records 2
- France--Foreign relations--1792-1815 2
- French Revolution 2
- Land grants 2
- Monroe family 2
- United States--Foreign relations--France 2
- United States--History--War of 1812 2
- Ambassadors--United States--18th century 1
- Ambassadors--United States--19th century 1
- Ash Lawn (Virginia : Estate) 1
- Courtland (Ala.)--History--19th century 1
- France--Foreign relations--United States 1
- France--History--Consulate and First Empire, 1799-1815 1
- France--History--Revolution, 1789-1799 1
- Huntsville (Ala.)--History--19th century 1
- Land grants--Illinois 1
- Lawrence County (Ala.)--History--19th century 1
- Letters (correspondence) 1
- Maps--United States 1
- Missouri Compromise, 1820 1
- Norfolk (Va.)--History--19th century 1
- Nova Scotia--History 1
- Pamphlets 1
- Portraits 1
- Slavery--Virginia--19th century 1
- Texas--History--19th century 1
- United States--Foreign relations--1789-1797 1
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865 1
- United States--Politics and Government 1
- United States-Military History 1
- United States. Navy--History--Tripolitan War, 1801-1805 1
- Virginia--History--1775-1865. 1
- West Virginia--Harrison County. 1 ∧ less