Cabell, James Branch, 1879-1958
Found in 7 Collections and/or Records:
Collection concerning James Branch Cabell who was a student at the College of William and Mary, 1894-1898. Includes biographical material, pictures, essays from the American Spectator, short stories (in magazines), essays (in magazines), clippings of reviews by Cabell, reviews of works by or about Cabell, book jackets of books by or about Cabell and clippings from periodicals and newspapers concerning Cabell. The collection also includes his first novel, The Eagle's Shadow.
Papers, 1919-1939, of or concerning James Branch Cabell. Includes letters, 1919-1927, from Cabell to Willard S. Morse concerning the autographing of Cabell's books; letters, 1931, of Frank C. Pape and Cabell to John D. Weaver [College of William and Mary]; and newspaper clippings concerning Cabell and Frances Newman.
Copies of letters written by Cabell at Richmond and Poynton Lodge, Ophelia, Va. and at St. Augustine, Florida to Rawlings concerning their literary work and also concerning the author, Ellen Glasgow. Includes one letter from Cabell to Frank Daniel and one letter to Rawlings from Margaret Waller Freeman Cabell. Originals in Majorie Kinnan Rawlings Collection, Rare Book Section, University of Florida Libraries.
Galley proofs of the first edition of James Branch Cabell's "Chivalry", annotated by Cabell for the second edition (1921).
Collection consists of two letters both of which concern the use of true events in fictional writing. The first, 2 February 1951, is from James Branch Cabell to [?] Cope; and the second, 27 October 1951, is from Mary Raymond Shipman Andrews to Mrs. [Reginald ?] Kenney.
- Authors, American--20th century 5
- American literature--20th century 4
- Correspondence 4
- Publications 2
- African Americans--Virginia--Photographs 1
- Authors, American--20th century--Correspondence 1
- Booksellers and bookselling--Virginia 1
- Cabinet photographs 1
- Carte de visite photographs 1
- Certificates 1
- Essays 1
- History in literature 1
- Photocopies 1
- Photographs 1
- Photography 1
- Poems 1
- Poets, American--19th century 1
- Richmond (Va.)--History--19th century 1
- Richmond (Va.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865 1
- Richmond (Va.)--Photographs 1
- Short stories 1
- Short stories, American--20th century 1
- Stereographs 1
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--African Americans 1
- University of Virginia--History--19th century 1
- Virginia--Social life and customs--19th century 1 + ∧ less