The collection contains correspondence, a poem, and a portrait. The first letter is dated June 2, 1882 and was written by Wharton to James Lyons of the Board of Visitors at the College of William and Mary, pleading with him and the Board to not move the College out of Williamsburg. The second letter is dated August 21, 1888 and was written by Wharton to the Board of Visitors at the College of William and Mary, accepting his appointment as Professor of Languages. The third letter is January 14 [no year] and written by Wharton to Lizzie Tyler at the President's House, describing her as the daughter of "Old Mortality." The poem is called "Jamestown 1900." It was composed by Wharton and "delivered at the celebration of the 193rd anniversary of the landing of the Anglo-Saxons at Jamestown." The portrait is of Wharton as an older man. It is stamped with his signature and was published by Men of Mark Publishing Co. in Washington, DC. It is undated.
Collection is open to all researchers. Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations, such as the Virginia Public Records Act (Code of Virginia. § 42.1-76-91); and the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (Code of Virginia § 2.2-3705.5). Confidential material may include, but is not limited to, educational, medical, and personnel records. If sensitive material is found in this collection, please contact a staff member immediately. The disclosure of personally identifiable information pertaining to a living individual may have legal consequences for which the College of William and Mary assumes no responsibility.
Before reproducing or quoting from any materials, in whole or in part, permission must be obtained from the Special Collections Research Center, and the holder of the copyright, if not Swem Library.
Lyman Brown Wharton served on the faculty at the College of William and Mary. He was Professor of Grecian and German History in 1870, Professor of Ancient and Modern Languages from 1888-1892, Professor of Latin from 1892-1906, and Secretary of the Faculty from 1897-1898.
0.01 Linear Foot